Need some help on importing

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

waros

Need some help on importing

Post by waros » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:26 am

Hi

I've got a Microsoft SQL Server & Vault installed and up and running.

What I need to do now is to import from a sourcesafe directory on a remote server.

What do I need to in order to do this?

I ran the import tool and it asks me for path
will it do to enter \\SERVER\directory1\directory2\scrsafe.ini

I have no sourcesafe client installed on my vault machine (or any other machine around here). Is this a must? (i've told a developer to send me his ms sourcesafe client but that will take some time) Can i just download something and install on the vault server so that it will let me run the import tool.

Also, can I use another user account, other than the admin account? i've got another account, that is set up as a administrator.

I have no experience on sourcesafe, so I'm thankful for any help!

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:47 am

I ran the import tool and it asks me for path
will it do to enter \\SERVER\directory1\directory2\scrsafe.ini
You can do that, but performance will be much better if you copy directory2 to your local machine and import from there.
I have no sourcesafe client installed on my vault machine (or any other machine around here). Is this a must?
No. The only machine that needs to have the SourceSafe client installed on it is the imachine that is running the import tool. It should have version 6.0c of SourceSafe. 6.0d is not recommended because it is unreliable.
Also, can I use another user account, other than the admin account? i've got another account, that is set up as a administrator.
It should be fine, but you must be sure that no VSS security settings are going to prevent that account from seeing parts of your tree.