VS .NET 2002 Patch problems

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rgkeefer

VS .NET 2002 Patch problems

Post by rgkeefer » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:03 pm

We are testing the patch that allows VS .NET 2002 to work with Vault 2.0.1 and have come across a problem. When I open .NET and go to Source Control -> Open Project from Source Control, I get the following error:

“There was a failure while initializing the SourceGear Vault Client source control provider. You cannot use this provider to perform source control operations.”

At first I thought that maybe Vault wasnt set as the default source control provider but it is. What could that error to occur?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:25 am

Yes, Vault would be the default provider if you get a message like that. This error usually means VS couldn't load the Vault IDE dll (so it never even gets to Vault code at all).

In the registry, check HKLM/software/SourceCodeControlProvider and the value of ProviderRegKey. That contains another reg key that tells VS where to look for the SCC provider. It will probably be something like Software/SourceGear/Vault Client. From there look at SCCServerPath, which would contain the location on disk of VaultIDE.dll. Check to make sure that dll exists in that location (and that it is the one unzipped from the VS 2002 patch).

You'll need to restart VS after you change the registry keys for it to pick up any changes.

If you still have problems, try setting those values to something you know is not valid, and see if you get the same error or a different error.

rgkeefer

fixed

Post by rgkeefer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:58 am

I fixed it by pointing the registry key directly to the VaultIDE.dll file rather than the folder in which it resides. You guys might want to make the read me file a little more clear about this. It says to use the "path" rather than the specific dll.

Thanks for your help!