Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Stan

Post by Stan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:53 am

When I launch the client app I get the following error message. Sometimes after clicking the Continue button a few times I will get to the login screen, and other times I can't get past the error window.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the client a few times. I have also tried deleting the cache files as per http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

I am running Visual Studio .NET 2003 on Windows XP Pro, and downloaded the latest Client 2.0.1.

------------ begin error message ------------------------
An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. Click continue and application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultGUIClient.FormMain.tabControl_DrawItem(Object sender, DrawItemEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.OnDrawItem(DrawItemEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WmReflectDrawItem(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
VaultGUIClient
Assembly Version: 2.0.1.2137
Win32 Version: 2.0.1.2137
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/SourceGear/Vault%20Client/VaultGUIClient.exe
VaultPresentationLib
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/SourceGear/Vault%20Client/VaultPresentationLib.DLL
VaultClientUILib
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/SourceGear/Vault%20Client/VaultClientUILib.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
VaultClientOperationsLib
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/SourceGear/Vault%20Client/VaultClientOperationsLib.DLL
VaultLib
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/SourceGear/Vault%20Client/VaultLib.DLL
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
VaultClientNetLib
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/SourceGear/Vault%20Client/VaultClientNetLib.DLL
System.Web.Services
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.web.services/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.web.services.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

--------------- end error message

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:51 am

Is the error happening the same way if you launch the standalone GUI app as well as the IDE client?

We've seen this from the IDE client when it can't load the .Net framework, but not from the GUI client. However, it looks like you have 1.1 of the framework installed.

Has it ever worked on this machine, or did something change recently?

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:02 am

dan wrote:Is the error happening the same way if you launch the standalone GUI app as well as the IDE client?

We've seen this from the IDE client when it can't load the .Net framework, but not from the GUI client. However, it looks like you have 1.1 of the framework installed.

Has it ever worked on this machine, or did something change recently?
This is the standalone GUI app that is giving me the problem. When I first used it, it did not give me the problem. After a few times then I started getting the problem. I only started using it the last few days, and have not made any changes to my system (ie. no registry changes, no software install)

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:16 am

Try deleting the registry settings at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\Vault\Client

It's possible that the string we use to store window position/size has gotten corrupted.

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:26 am

If you can, before you delete the FormMain setting, could you post its value here? We've heard of the setting getting corrupted, but never figured out how it got that way.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

Stan

Post by Stan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:16 pm

sterwill wrote:If you can, before you delete the FormMain setting, could you post its value here? We've heard of the setting getting corrupted, but never figured out how it got that way.
Here is the value:

[removed by sterwill so this thread isn't really, really wide and hard to read]

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:25 pm

jeremy_sg wrote:Try deleting the registry settings at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\Vault\Client

It's possible that the string we use to store window position/size has gotten corrupted.
The first time I deleted the key I didn't have any errors logging in. Then after I closed the client app and re-opened I get the error message again. I tried deleting the key again but now always get the error message, even when launching the client right after I delete the key.

Stan

Post by Stan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:12 am

Any other suggestions?

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:10 pm

One Vault user had a similar problem when the splash screen was enabled. You can disable it through the registry (a sibling of the FormMain key called ShowSplash; you can change it to "False"). It seems that certain multiple monitor configurations are affected by the way .NET draws some things. Our splash screen code is about as simple as it gets (create a form, set the background image to a bitmap, size the form to fit the image, center the form, show the form).
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:27 pm

sterwill wrote:One Vault user had a similar problem when the splash screen was enabled. You can disable it through the registry (a sibling of the FormMain key called ShowSplash; you can change it to "False"). It seems that certain multiple monitor configurations are affected by the way .NET draws some things. Our splash screen code is about as simple as it gets (create a form, set the background image to a bitmap, size the form to fit the image, center the form, show the form).
Yes, I'm running multiple monitors, and disabling the splash screen fixed the problem. Thanks.