Merge Fails

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Merge Fails

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:46 pm

Merging back into trunk is failing when the file in trunk is renamed after the branch point. Here are the simplified steps that still fails:

1. Directory is branched to a separate folder.
2. A file in the original trunk folder is renamed.
3. The same file is modified in the branch folder.
4. Attempting to merge the changes back to trunk folder fails.

I am using version 2.01, and Merge Branch Wizard does not find any file rename/add/delete to be merged, then shows the changed file with a red background and status of "Not Found".

I think this is what happened:
Not finding any rename/add/delete is fine, since there isn't any of these changes between the two selected versions in the branch. But when it comes to merging the files, it figures out the file has been modified, but can't find the file in the trunk (with the same name) to apply the changes to.

What should I do to get the changes into the trunk?

Thanks

dan

Post by dan » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:32 pm

Thanks for bug report - we'll look into why that is happening.

In the meantime, unfortunately, you'll have to merge the file manually. If you are merging from the unnamed file to the named file, do a history on the renamed file and do a Get from history on the version of the file at the time it was branched. You need to do the Get from History so the baseline version is correct for the merge.

Then, copy the branched version over the historical version, and rename it to the name of the file in the trunk. It should have a status of Needs Merge at that point, and you can manually invoke Show Merge to resolve the merge.