Feature Request - Show Labels in Merge Branches Wizard

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

andrew00

Feature Request - Show Labels in Merge Branches Wizard

Post by andrew00 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:02 pm

I've set up the following scheme to test the way the Merge Branches words:

$\
\Test
\Client1
\Client2

I put five text files in the Client 1 directory and Labeled the directory Version 1 - then I merged them to Client2 - fine. Then, I did three separate checkout, edit, and checkins to three textfiles. I labeled Client1 Version 2.

When I went to merge, it asked me for the revisions I wanted to merge between. There were about seven different revisions, and my label did not appear (I read your documentation and saw that Vault ignores Labels, so I know this is by design).

I didn't know which revision to pick! I had to go back to Client1's history, find my label, then find the revision RIGHT after that label - then go back to Merge branches.

My point is, if I couldn't figure it out with 5 text files, I shudder to contemplate 1,000 C# files that are constantyl being checked-in and out separately from each other.

I understand that Vault doesn't merge labels - that's fine. But, if I could SEE the labels in the Merge screen, I would know which revisions to pick from. In fact - seeing labels might be even more useful than seeing revisions - maybe if there could be some options to turn the hundreds of revisions off!

If I'm missing something, or there's a better way to do thios - let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

(btw - I set this up to see how merge handled deletions in the target folder - it did so beautifully - good job guys)

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:48 pm

Yea - this is a a good feature request. This bothers me too when I use MergeBranches. We'll add it to the list.

andrew00

Post by andrew00 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:17 pm

Any ideas when this might happen?