weird Vault error

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rgkeefer

weird Vault error

Post by rgkeefer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:38 am

We have been getting this error fairly often ever since we switched to Vault 2.0.1. The only way I have been able to get rid of it is to reboot the Vault server. What could be causing this?

Please see attachment....
Attachments
You Have No Rights....jpg
You Have No Rights....jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 10390 times

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Unfortunately, that is our general error when the server returns null when we request the repository structure.

My first guess is that something is happening server side. Check your server log to see if anything is logged.

Other things that might clarify the situation

1. Is this happening to all users?
2. Is this happening with any pattern? At certain times of the day? After certain operations?

rgkeefer

more detail

Post by rgkeefer » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:50 pm

This issue usually occurs during the time when we have an overlap between our developers and the developers in India. More often than not tthe developers in India are the ones who get the error but occasionaly we do as well. There will be times when one of them can log in fine but the other gets the error.

Another error that occurs a lot is the "system out of memory exception." We have 3GB of the memory on the server so it doesnt make much sense that it uses all the memory. The problem goes away when the server is rebooted though.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:04 pm

The out of memory error is probably the cause of the weird refresh error. Take a look at your vault.config file and change the TreeManagerSize from -1 to 100. You'll have to restart IIS in order for this setting to take effect.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:10 pm

you can do two things:

1) upgrade the server to vault 2.0.2 as an out of memory exception bug was fixed for the general case on vault servers with more than 2GB of memory.

2) look at jeremy's post, and also this one http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... anagersize for more info.

hth
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rgkeefer

still having problems...

Post by rgkeefer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:19 am

I have tried changing the settings in the vault.config file and the results have not been any better.

Here is an excerpt of an email I received from our developers in India:

"I apologize for constantly pestering you with vault issues, but most of the guys(dev) here are quite frustrated with the vault issues that have been happening frequently, almost everyday now (Refer to attachments for sample errors). It however does randomly work on few odd systems and refuses to replicate the same on most other systems.

All this has led to serious development time being severely affected.

One of the causes might be that the default First Magnus repository itself contains 352,371 files and 27,881 folders. We almost never had these issues initially (vault 1.0 days), when there were far less files added into vault.

Another point to note is that, while the vault client is giving the above mentioned issues, I can still access the vault through the web client from http://vault.firstmagnus.com/VaultServi ... login.aspx from the same system. So I'm confused as in where the issue lies.

I totally uninstalled vault from my system and reinstalled it back, due to which it seems to work well on my system for the time being. Also As I had mentioned in my previous mail, clearing the "_sgbak" folder also seems to help in solving the issues temporarily (though I agree with you, as in it shouldn't have any effect)."

Basically I have to reboot the server every morning after they have been working because the following errors always occur....

1) System.OutOfMemoryException
2) tree structure could not be built
3) You have no rights to view the repository
4) Failed DB connection

Will upgrading to 2.0.2 help out with these issues at all?

jeremy_sg

Re: still having problems...

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:24 am

Please email your server log file to me with your phone number, and we'll work this together. I wasn't aware that your tree was large and that there were failures building the tree.

rgkeefer

Post by rgkeefer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:36 am

What email address should I send the log file to? Also, where is the log file located?

Thanks

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:06 am

You can click on the email button at the bottom of my posts. The server log file is in c:\windows\temp\sgvault