Check In causes changes to be lost

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cpoirier

Check In causes changes to be lost

Post by cpoirier » Wed May 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Hello,

There are 3 people in our organization who have had the following problem:
1) Check out multiple files for editing, and make changes in Visual Studio.
2) Check in files from Visual Studio.
3) One or more files in the change set are reverted to the latest version from Vault.

This problem only happens occasionally, and we can retrieve the lost changes from the hidden _sgbak/ directory, but this is a problem which could possibly cause us problems, especially if the case ever happens where we cannot retrieve the changes from _sgbak/.

This seems to be the same problem as discussed in the Gold forum here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7628.
The things to check are:
1) Are the bindings valid? Check under the Change Source Control in VS to see that everything is bound. Or you can unbind and rebind.
The bindings are/were valid, new files were added to the repository; and in some cases, some of the files were checked in properly, while others experienced this problem.
2) Is a Get Latest ever performed? Visual Studio has the option to automatically perform a Get upon opening. Check in VS under Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment. If you can, post a screenshot.
We all have/had Visual Studio set to get the latest version whenever a project is opened.
3) Are there any other files you can check in to see what happens? If so, make a copy of your working directory. Then check the files first to make sure they are exactly as you want them, and then perform a check in. Once that is finished, close out and reopen your project again and see how those files look.
We are unable to reproduce this problem, it only happens on occasion.
4) Does anyone else have their working folder set to what your working folder is?
No. Our working folders are all on our local computers, and no one would be using the same working folder.
--Does it happen with web projects, or other projects -- or any project?
All of our projects are web projects.
--Do changes tend to get lost when working folders have been changed?
None of us had changed our working folders between checking out the files and checking them in again.

Your help in this matter is appreciated.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Were working folders ever set in Vault? They should only be set in Visual Studio as they will conflict if they are set in Vault.

Are there any common denominators in the size or type of file or time of day that the issue occurs?

cpoirier

Post by cpoirier » Fri May 04, 2007 10:05 am

I don't ever recall setting the working folder in Vault. Neither does the other developer.
I tested this out, and I wasn't able to replicate the problem by setting the working folder in Vault.

This problem has happened to me twice on two different projects ... one in Visual Studio 2003 and one in Visual Studio 2005, with about 8 months in between. The other two developers were working on two different projects, both in Visual Studio 2005. I don't believe there was any common file size or time of day. The files were all either user controls or server controls written in C#.

BTW ... I forgot to mention that our Vault version is 3.0.6 (2856).

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri May 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Check out this forum thread here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7775

There were some suggestions in the last entry there that may help you. Try though out and let me know if that helped.