Status Unknown - why?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cdaniel

Status Unknown - why?

Post by cdaniel » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:54 am

I have a bunch of files in a repository. I have an identical bunch of files on the filesystem. I've set the working directory for the repository to refer to the correct point in the filesystem.

In the vault client, everything appears with status Unknown. Choosing a directory and invoking Differences results in a large list of "right only" files, which is nonsense - they're all in the repository in corresponding places. (In today's case, I renamed the repository to cause all the file statuses to revert to Unknown).

I've found in the past that I can "fix" this situation by doing a get-latest, but this steps strikes me as error prone, time-wasting and unnecessary - the correct files are already there, plus if any of the local files are in fact modified, my experience has been that vault overwrites them on the get even if I choose the "don't overwrite/merge later" option.

What I'm looking for is the "Update Status" option that many other SCM tools provide - is it missing, or just well hidden?
-cd

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:08 am

You can look at these KB articles to get more information about Unknown status

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=162

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=131

The short answer is that you are right. You can only correct Unknown files by downloading from the server. We plan to make this easier in the next version of Vault. The plan for now is to look for Unknown files on a Set Working Folder and set the status to blank where the file matches a repository version exactly.

cdaniel

Post by cdaniel » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:35 am

Sounds good to me! In the meantime, it'll be less of an issue once we stop evaluating, settle into a repository/directory structure and generally stop messing around and get back to work :)
-cd

cdaniel

Post by cdaniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:31 pm

One last thought: When doing an "update status", if Vault can't match the working file with any revision on the server, my preference would be that it default to choosing the tip revision on the server as the baseline and showing the file's status as "Edited".
-cd

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:59 pm

I agree that finding the baseline for an edited unknown file is tricky. I'm reluctant to just set the latest as the baseline and call it Edited. If you think about it VSS always does this. That's why it is so easy to undo somebody else's changes without noticing. I would like to set its status as something like Needs Merge, which would call attention to the fact the user needs to do something, and not let the user check in the file until they've corrected the issue.

cdaniel

Post by cdaniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:32 pm

Even better.

I'm probably more careful than most - I always diff what I'm checking in to make sure I'll end up with exactly what I wanted.
-cd