File commits fine with no error - but file has not changed.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

justinbarr

File commits fine with no error - but file has not changed.

Post by justinbarr » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:52 am

Hello,
Great product guys, completed all installs, Admin tool works, Client tool works. Checking in and committing files with no errors in the messages - I can even see the changes through Admin tool, but still reverting to the original file.No commited file changes occur.

Here's my scenario:

I have a development web site configured on a remote server,IIS virtual directory pointing at the web files.The Vault main repository are these files too. Vault Admin tool sees the files fine.

At another location i have the web client running and can coonect to the repository,check out ,in and commit the changes no problem.No errors in the transactions.

PROBLEM: Surely these new file changes would be seen through my web site or even on opening that file on the server,it has not changed.But funny enough the admin tool, through viewing the latest version recognises the check outs and the new ammendments.

So in all the product works,no errors,nothing.It just does'nt update the latest version of the file from my local machine to the server.

Is it just me? Is vault only a management tool that monitors changes made? Do i have to upload these files myself?

Im struggling to find the solution.Can someone help...?

Regards

Just.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:19 am

Is the problem here the difference between the repository version of the file and the working versions of the file?

The Vault repository contains all the files, and stores them in SQL Server (in the Vault server, the files don't exist in a local folder anywhere). When you connect to Vault via a Vault client (we refer to the standalone client as the GUI client), you will see a list of files in the repository, and whether they exist locally or not.

You need to set a working folder on a local machine, and then invoke Get Latest to retrieve those files from the server to a local directory (where "local" means any folder accessible from the local machine). If you have Vault clients on multiple machine, you would need to set a working folder for each machine.

We do have a feature called "shadow folders", available from the Admin Tool, where a folder that is accessible from the *server* machine will be automatically updated whenever a file changes on the server. This sounds like it might be what you were expecting to happen when checking in files?

I apologize if you know all this already - let me know where I am confused if it didn't help at all :)

justinbarr

Post by justinbarr » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:44 am

Hi dan,
I know understand more!! The penny has dropped.I think.

It makes total sense about the files being hosted in Vault Server only and the files don't exist in a local folder anywhere on the server itself.

But to my local machine only will i check them out to work on.

Exactly the problem here is the difference between the repository version of the file and the working versions of the file.

Repository File : Is the updated version i worked on and i can see it through Admin Tool.Its the one i want the web site to see.But its only in the Vault Server ,not local on the server ,right?

Working version: Is the current file my website is looking at,its the old original one that has not changed.

Your last 4 lines pretty much sums up my problem.Im expecting the files to be updated when checking and commiting them in.Im expecting the web site which is pointing at these files to update.

How do i enable shadow folders? So when checking them in,it will update the files on the server,the same files which my web is looking at?

Hope this makes sense?

Regards

Dan

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:04 am

To configure shadow folders, go to the Repository Options pane in the Admin Tool, and click on the Configure Shadow Folders button. This will allow you to associate a repository folder with a local folder.

Note that it is sometimes difficult to configure shadow folders. See the following two knowledge base articles to see if either of them apply to your situation:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=536
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=188

justinbarr

Post by justinbarr » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:00 am

All sorted!!
Your a legend Dan, thanks for your help.

Regards

Just.