problems after importing from VSS to Vault

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ggaudet

problems after importing from VSS to Vault

Post by ggaudet » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:43 am

Hi, after doing a typical import from VSS to vault, I try the following steps:

-Login to vault client and 'get latest'

-open from Visual Studio - at this point I get a message saying that the solution appears to look like it is under source control, but it isn't sure

-I go to File/Source Control/Change Source Control and 'bind' the solution/projects

-This appears to work, for me only, as another developer has to go through the same thing, or if someone deletes their working directory and gets latest again.

What am I doing wrong? I would prefer to not have to do the binding at first startup, but it would be ok for one person to have to do it once.

Thanks for any help.

ggaudet

Post by ggaudet » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:33 am

This is Vault version 2.03 BTW

I may have answered my own question, if someone could confirm that this solution doesn't cause future problems:

I noticed that the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file was not in SourceSafe, so therefore not in Vault after importing. When I added this to Vault, other developers when they 'got latest' had a solution binded to Vault and did not have to do anything else.

Gavin.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:17 am

The MSSSCCPRJ.SCC isn't really supposed to be under source control, because it contains contains connection info for a specific user, which could differ from one user to the next (e.g., one user could be connecting via SSL, and another could be using a profile which has a different ID than another user).

However, this is a good work around for not wanting to have everyone unbind then rebind. (Note that the reason this step is necessary when moving from VSS, is because the solution was bound to VSS, and does need to be rebound to Vault).

I would suggest that after everyone has done a get latest, you delete the .scc file(s) from the repository, and then if users create profiles or connect in different ways, it won't clobber other people's connections after a Get Latest.