Error during Label import

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kasti

Error during Label import

Post by kasti » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:21 am

During import, I get the following error:

The label $/xxx could not be imported correctly. The server returned: You do not have permission to perform the operation.

In the server log at the same time, this message occurs:

An error occurred during the deletion of ge1ilf55110rjqrqdy0z4k55. Please check that the session was removed from the database.\tTransaction (Process ID 53) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

All the files + histories have afterwards been imported successfully, only the labels are missing.

I have also followed the "Tips for a Successful VSS Import" and have changed all timeouts, installed vss 6.0c+servicepack etc.

Has anyone got any ideas?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:22 pm

Could you look at your import log, which is located in c:\program files\sourcegear\SourceSafe Import Tool? It may give us a clue.

kasti

Post by kasti » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:51 am

Well, here is the relevant section of the import log:

Begin Export - Labels...

20.04.2004 14:07:41 Importing Label: $/SEZ Win32 Library/BCB 50/Generic Apps/GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQLServer (GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQ 0.5.0.0)
The label $/SEZ Win32 Library/BCB 50/Generic Apps/GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQLServer (GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQ 0.5.0.0) could not be imported correctly. The server returned: You do not have permission to perform the operation.
20.04.2004 14:07:41 Importing Label: $/SEZ Win32 Library/BCB 50/Generic Apps/GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQLServer/Source/SQLServer (v1.0)
The label $/SEZ Win32 Library/BCB 50/Generic Apps/GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQLServer/Source/SQLServer (v1.0) could not be imported correctly. The server returned: You do not have permission to perform the operation.
Labels completed.
Begin Export - Pins....

Pins complete.
Logged out of the Vault Server.

Finished Export. 20.04.2004 14:07:41
The label $/SEZ Win32 Library/BCB 50/Generic Apps/GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQLServer (GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQ 0.5.0.0) could not be imported correctly. The server returned: You do not have permission to perform the operation.
The label $/SEZ Win32 Library/BCB 50/Generic Apps/GA GENERIC EXE UpdateSQLServer/Source/SQLServer (v1.0) could not be imported correctly. The server returned: You do not have permission to perform the operation.
Connected to Vault.

Mapping SourceSafe folder security to Vault
Getting user rights...
User rights retrieved.

Rights Applied.

I can properly import certain subfolders of this project (incl. labels) so I am thinking it might have to do something with deleted (not destroyed) subfolders. I will investigate further and let you know.

Thanks for now.

OldMan

Getting the same error

Post by OldMan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:58 pm

Hello. I'm getting the same error that kasti got, for every single label in my import. Has any light been shed on the issue?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:05 am

This is caused by a bug in Vault 2.0.3. We hope to have the bug fixed in version 2.0.4, which will be released soon. As a workaround, you can give all of your imported uesrs default permissions of Read, which should allow your next import attempt to successfully import labels.

OldMan

Post by OldMan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:26 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I've tried your workaround, and got the same errors.

I created a new repository for this attempt. The imported users all existed already from the previous attempted import, and Vault does not allow me to delete them, so I could not re-import them, but I set all their default permissions to Read only before the import. Is that sufficient?

I also got many new new errors in the following form:
Item $/OFX/1.0/User/Adam caused the transaction to fail: An item with the same name or object id already exists in the selected folder.
Transaction failed"

Should I be trying with a fresh installation of Vault?

Thanks.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

You will need to delete the existing imported items. Once you do that, rerun the import.

OldMan

Post by OldMan » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:33 am

Thanks. Deleting the repositories used for the previous attempts took care of the same name/objectid errors.

Does this mean that I cannot re-import the same item twice into two different repositories? (I had been hoping to clean up some of the project relationships in the process of separating them into multiple repositories, but that requires importing some items more than once.)

I have not yet succeeded in importing labels; I am now getting errors that say "Error getting label from VSS. Invalid OLEVERB structure." I imagine this is because my VSS DB is not perfectly healthy and the Analyze and Fix utility fails to fix it. However, we have decided that we can live without the labels from VSS, and are proceeding with a label-less import.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:41 am

It is likely that corruption in the database is causing the OLEVERB error. Can you fetch these labels using the VSS Explorer?

OldMan

Post by OldMan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:43 am

For at least some of these labels, we cannot fetch them using VSS--the operation seems to work but the desitnation directory is empty. We label every build, so there are hundreds of labels; I haven't tried all of them.