Eclipse Plugin Features

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

everettmuniz

Eclipse Plugin Features

Post by everettmuniz » Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 pm

We've been using Vault for the last 4/5 years for Visual Studio development. More recently we've had some success getting another development team started with Vault but they do most of their work in Eclipse. We have the opportunity to get rid of VSS altogether if we can move the Eclipse folks over to Vault successfully.

The Eclipse team had been using a free VSS plugin. The biggest thing they seem to be missing is the Refresh option that the VSS Plugin made available under the Team sub-menu. This basically performed a sync operation. It's similar to Get Latest with a significant additional feature. If folder A used to exist but another developer deleted or renamed it then the Refresh will remove it from the working folder structure - same goes for files. This is a huge help for refactoring.

One of the other things they're missing is the ability to do check-ins with key bindings. We haven't found a way to bind a key combination to any of the standard Vault actions like checkout/check-in. Checkout isn't as big a deal since that happens automatically on file edit but check-in would be nice.

What are the chances either of these features will be in an upcoming release of the Eclipse plugin?

everettmuniz

Re: Eclipse Plugin Features

Post by everettmuniz » Tue May 25, 2010 3:03 pm

An addition to the items referenced above that seems to be more in the way of a bug is the plugin remembering the Vault password provided. Even when the remember password checkbox is checked, the user is prompted to enter a password when Eclipse starts up.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 26, 2010 7:54 am

On your first post...

If you go to the preferences settings under Window - Preferences - Vault, there is an area to set your Get options. Check the option for Repository Deletions. It should not be set to "Do not remove working copy."

On the Key Bindings, there are a few for showing items or preferences, but not for the action of checkin, checkout, etc. I can add a feature request.

F: 15465
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 26, 2010 8:01 am

On your second post, I checked it out and couldn't reproduce the issue. Which version of Vault are you using?

Which version of Eclipse?

Which version of Java?
Beth Kieler

everettmuniz

Post by everettmuniz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this earlier. Thanks for your previous responses.

With regard to the repository deletions. For the "Repository Deletions" on the "Default Get Options" screen I have "Remove working copy" selected. Even so, when I delete a repository directory in Vault and then execute a "Get latest version" on the Eclipse project the directory remains in Eclipse though the directory icon changes to reflect that the directory is not under source control any more.

With regard to the Vault plugin remembering passwords. We're thinking that the behavior may have been related to importing/removing projects. We were re-working our project structure so we were importing/deleting projects. Now that the project structure has become stable we haven't seen the issue any more.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:46 am

Could you try the Get from the Vault GUI client? If the delete doesn't happen there, that will point my troubleshooting in a different direction.
Beth Kieler

everettmuniz

Post by everettmuniz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks for you help with this Beth. BTW, we're using Vault 5.02. Should have said that from the start. sorry.

Here's what I did.

1) added directory to project through eclipse
2) added file to directory through eclipse
3) did commit all in pending change set
4) opened vault client
5) located directory committed in step 3
6) deleted directory
7) checked working folder and directory added in step 1 is still there
8) did get latest version on parent folder of deleted folder making sure Remove working copy was selected

Even after step 8 the folder was still present in the working directory location.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:52 pm

It sounds like when you deleted in the Vault client, that the Vault client didn't delete in the working folder during the action. I'm assuming in this case, the Vault client you ran was on the same machine as your working folder and your Eclipse install? The function that makes the Vault client delete from it's own working folders during the delete is "Perform File Deletes in Working Folders." Go to Vault Tools - Options - Local Files and check that setting.

This is a little different than what I thought the original issue was.
Beth Kieler