Checkin dialog won't open

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dbeitz

Checkin dialog won't open

Post by dbeitz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Greetings!

I'm having a problem where the Vault checking dialog won't open in the Vault client.

I'm using Vault 4.1.4 (18402), with Windows XP SP3. Current Windows updates have been applied. The Vault repository is stored in a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition server. We have a Windows network, and my Vault project working folder is on a network drive.

I've been successfully using this Vault configuration on the same workstation for several years. About a week ago while working on a project I had about a dozen text-based code modules checked out. When I completed my work I went to check them in. Since the modules were all related to the same change, I selected them all to check in at once. When I right-clicked on the selected modules and chose "checkin" off the pop-up menu, the checkin dialog box would not open. The screen would flicker like the dialog was trying to open, but it never appeared. I tried checking in various combinations of single files and multiple files, but I could not get the checkin dialog to appear. I logged out of and back into the network, I restarted the PC, and even did a full shutdown and reboot. Nothing seemed to work. Eventually as I tried various things the checkin dialog did appear for three or four of the files and I was able to get them checked in, so I thought the problem had resolved itself. But then I went to check in the other files and it had quit working again.

The best corollary I can come up with is the concept of a pop-up blocker in a browser, but I'm not aware of anything installed on my PC that would prevent a dialog from opening in a Windows app. And as I said before, I've been successfully using Vault on this same machine for several years without problems. I haven't installed any new software recently, but Windows updates may have been installed that could be contributing to the problem. I've also run a virus scan that came back negative. Other Vault users in my department aren't having this problem, so it would seem that the issue is specific to my PC, and even further it's specific to those particular files. I can check out other code modules, and either undo the checkout or edit them and check them back in successfully. But for the eight modules that I still have checked out with pending changes, the checkin dialog will not appear.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Dale Beitz

lbauer

Re: Checkin dialog won't open

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:18 pm

That's strange.

Is this happening in Visual Studio or in the Vault GUI Client? Or both?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dbeitz

Post by dbeitz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:42 am

lbauer wrote:That's strange.

Is this happening in Visual Studio or in the Vault GUI Client? Or both?
This is happening in the Vault GUI client. This particular app is a legacy app developed and maintained in FoxPro 7, which doesn't integrate well with Vault. So all my source control is done through the Vault client.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 am

I'd suggest we schedule a remote assist session where I can take a closer look. Email me at support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:50 pm

In the remote session we discovered that the checked out items were not listed in the pending change set. We undid the checkouts, leaving the modified files, then checked them out again. This time they appeared in the pending change set and dbeitz was able to check them in. Then we cleared the client-side cache to refresh and re-sync the client with the repository.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dbeitz

Post by dbeitz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Thank you for your assistance, Linda! The problem is resolved an this item can be closed.
Thanks again!
Dale