Nested branches

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Nested branches

Post by christian » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:43 pm

Does Vault track the ancestry of branches two or more generations deep? For example $/Mainline branched to $/Branches/Child and then $/Branches/Child branched to $/Branches/GrandChild. Will Vault remember that $/Branches/GrandChild originated from $/Mainline?

Viewing branch ancestry does not seem to be that well supported in Vault. Are there plans in the near future for this area to be enhanced?

Thanks
Christian

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:57 pm

Christian:

Here is an explanation of Vault's branching / history. Imagine a file existing in a folder $/Main/ ( $/Main/file.cpp version 3 )

Now, $/Main/ is branched to $/Branch1/. A view of history for $/Branch1/file.cpp is now version 4 because of the branch. History will show file.cpp for version 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Next, file.cpp is edited two more times ( versions 5 & 6 ), and $/Branch1/ is branched to $/Branch2/.

So history on $/Branch2/file.cpp should contain

Version 1 - added
Version 2 - edited
Version 3 - edited
Version 4 - branched from $/Main/file.cpp
Version 5 - edited
Version 6 - edited
Version 7 - branched from $/Branch1/file.cpp

Can you elaborate on what you would like to see expanded?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian

Post by christian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:28 am

Thanks as always for the swift reply Jeff.

Ok, I'm trying to feel my way around using Vault so I suspect that some of my comments are going to stem from a lack of knowledge of how to use what's already available, so please bear with me (and point me in the right direction!).

Currently to view branch ancestry I have to right-click->Show history on the file, on the actions tab uncheck all actions except Branch and then hit OK. Then by reading the history items I figure out the ancestry.

To make things easier may I suggest the following enhancement:
Right-click file and select properties. On the properties dialog have another tab labelled "Paths" (think Source Safe). This shows a tree view with the branch ancestry for the item. Using the example you provide you would see:

$/Main/file.cpp
-->$/Branch1/file.cpp
----->$/Branch2/file.cpp

Having this available as a property of the file/folder would allow you to see ancestry regardless of where in the repository you happen to select the item. Contrast this with viewing history on $/Main/file.cpp where you wouldn't see from the history presented that this file has been branched.

Is this something that you can add?

Thanks
Christian

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:40 am

OK. I mis-understood your original post. You are making a suggestion for a feature request to show branch ancestry outside of history.

I've logged the request. Note, this is the first request of this type.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian

Post by christian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:34 am

Can you appreciate why this is a useful feature?

It’s really tough at the moment to be able to see where a file/folder is being used in the repository when you've branched. It’s like not having the Share tab when trying to establish where a file is being shared.

I also think this feature would rather compliment the feature requested in my other post http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2521

Thanks
Christian

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:39 am

Yes, it is easy to understand how this could be usedful in "tracking" objects throughout a repository.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian

Post by christian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:43 am

Ok, I'll look out for an update in a month or two ;-)