Automatic Checkout very slow

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

thomas woelfer

Automatic Checkout very slow

Post by thomas woelfer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 am

i'm using the vs2005 enhanced client auf vault 4.1.1 (18060).

when i'm starting to type into a file that at that point in time is not checked out, vault will automatically do a checkout for the file, just like source safe did.

however, /w source safe, the checkout was done instantly, that is, maybe within a secod or so. with vault, it takes about 30 seconds before i can actually start typing. adding a new file to a project takes even longer.

is there any way to make this work faster ?

WM_THX
-thomas woelfer

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:09 am

I'd like to try to rule out some potential problems. If you check out a file in the stand-alone client, how long does that take? If that's also quite slow, it's likely that the network between you and the Vault server is to blame.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

thomas woelfer

Post by thomas woelfer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:44 am

checking out a file in the standalone client takes about 0.5 seconds.

-thomas

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:24 am

Okay I'd say we've ruled that out, then. :)

If you manually check a file out via the context menu in the solution explorer (in Visual Studio), is it just as slow?

I recall that you were working primarily (perhaps exclusively) with C++ projects. Are the files that are slow to check out in C++ projects?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

thomas woelfer

Post by thomas woelfer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:30 am

>> If you manually check a file out via the context menu in the solution explorer (in Visual Studio), is it just as slow?

yes.

>> I recall that you were working primarily (perhaps exclusively) with C++ projects. Are the files that are slow to check out in C++

nope. the solution has c# and c++ projects. checkout in both kind of projects is very slow.

-thomas

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:39 am

We found a couple of reasons for slow performance checking out in sufficiently large solutions. I'm afraid there's no workaround I can offer today, but the performance will improve in the next maintenance release.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

thomas woelfer

Post by thomas woelfer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:24 am

do you have a timeframe for the next maint. release yet ?

WM_QUERY
-thomas

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 am

We haven't announced a release date for 4.1.2 yet.

However, if this issue is particularly troublesome I can make a client-only pre-release build available, probably next week.

Anybody experiencing this performance problem and interested in a pre-release build can email me: ian at sourcegear dot com.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear