Vault client - baseline storage

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cdaniel

Vault client - baseline storage

Post by cdaniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:28 pm

The Vault (GUI) client stores a baseline copy of every file that's on the server. These files are apparently stored in CSIDL_APPDATA\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client. Is there any way to change the location where the client stores these baseline copies other than changing the location where my CSIDL_PROFILE directory resides? I'd prefer to have these baseline files saved on my development drive (alongside the working folders) rather than on the system drive. The dev machines here all have drives on sleds so a dev drive can be moved to a different machine if the machine fails. Having the baseline versions saved in CSIDL_APPDATA means that moving the dev drive to another machine would effectively break the vault client and force a re-get of everything.
-cd

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:11 pm

http://download.sourcegear.com/misc/vau ... olders.htm

Store working folder data inside folders

Check Store working folder data inside folders if you want the _sgvault folders to be created within working folders. The files will be visible. You may want to do this if you are used to working with Vault 1.0.

Leave it unchecked to store the _sgvault folders within the users application data directory for the system. The folders will be hidden.

If you toggle this option back and forth, working folder data and status will be lost (files will become of Unknown status).

The default is Unchecked. If you do not know what to choose, we recommend you choose the default.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:08 pm

GregM wrote:If you toggle this option back and forth, working folder data and status will be lost (files will become of Unknown status).
What has happened is the client cannot find the location of its state folders - since this option changes the location.

Which can be resolved by issuing a full get. A new Get (recursively, if necessary) will retrieve new baseline info, thus resolving the problem.

FWIW, if you plan on moving / renaming folders, I would take a long look at storing Working Folder Data within the actual working folder.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

cdaniel

Post by cdaniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:31 pm

Cool. One last question - now that I've toggled the option to store working folder data in working folders, my profile directory still contains 100's of megabytes of files. At what level can I safely delete? (i.e. can I delete Vault_1\Client?)
-cd

cdaniel

Post by cdaniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:30 pm

Nevermind :) I deleted the _sgvault folders from my profile directory & left everything else there. I assume that was the right thing to do!
-cd

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:12 pm

cd:

Looks like your good to go.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear