Feature Request: Advanced Merge

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cdaniel

Feature Request: Advanced Merge

Post by cdaniel » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:09 pm

One of the occasionally handy things that can be done with a 3-file merge is to remove a revision. For example, if a file has revisions 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, doing a merge with a baseline of 4, and tips 3 and 7 results in a new version that's equivalent to version 7 with the version 4 changes removed. Near as I can tell, there's no easy way to do this with Vault's merge facility, although I believe that the underlying merge tool has the necessary capabilities. What's (apparently) missing is a UI to do this kind of merge work. I'm not sure what that UI should look like - probably it's something accessed from the context menu for a file (where Show Merge... now appears).

[Edited] I realize that you can do this now by getting all the needed revisions into distinct local folders and manually invoking sgdm (or another merge tool) on the files. What I'm requesting is a way from within the Vault client to do this kind of merge without having to get all the revisions into local directories manually. Like the good old PVCS command line vmrg -r1.4 -r1.3 -r1.7 myfile.txt.;-)
-cd