Invalid File or Directory attributes value

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Stuart Thorne

Post by Stuart Thorne » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:02 am

Hi.

When attempting to check out, and edit, a file from Vault, the following error message appears:

"Invalid File or Directory attributes value"

Info:
Vault version 2.0.0 (2120)
html file
checking out to html editor (Dreamweaver or similar)

The file status in Vault is 'Checked out', but the actual files in the working folder location are still 'read only' status, e.g. if you attempted to edit the files directly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart Thorne

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:34 am

I'd like some more details to try to reproduce this.

Do you first checkout the file from the Vault GUI Client, then open the file with Dreamweaver?

How do you open the file to edit it? Through the GUI Client "Edit" operation or by opening the checked out file directly from the working directory with your editor?

At what point do you see the error message? Does it appear to come from Vault or your editor?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

stuartthorne

Post by stuartthorne » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:58 am

Hi Linda,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

To answer your questions:

To open the file, I used the GUI "edit" operation, through Vault. Dreamweaver, as the default editor will not launch (if closed).

The status of the file will then show it to be checked out, to the correct user (myself) and working folder location.

The error message appears as an alert dialogue box, from Vault, with the following statement:

"Invalid File or Directory attributes value"

The file remains locked for editing, either when apparently checked out, or by editing it directly from the working folder location.

I also tried the GUI "Check out" operation, and THEN open Dreamweaver, select the relevant file, and attempt to save. The file would remain write protected, and locked for editing.

--

I have corrected the this issue by making a copy of the files concerned, and placing these in a different working folder location. Then I deleted the original records in Vault, and reset the working folder location to the new file location. Then I added the files to Vault, and did "get latest version". This has worked effectively.

I did not (regrettably, in hindsight) record the entries that appeared in the 'Messages' window pane, at the bottom of the Vault application, during the error instances. If I can duplicate the problem gain today, I will make a full record of what is happening.

--

Many thanks, in advance, for your help.

Stuart Thorne
stuart.thorne@dna.co.uk