Changing Vault SQL authentication: sgvaultuser password

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dbeitz

Changing Vault SQL authentication: sgvaultuser password

Post by dbeitz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:41 am

My company is instituting a policy where all SQL login passwords need to be changed periodically, including service accounts like sgvaultuser. I've seen entries in various posts indicating that this account is created by the Vault installer. What I haven't seen is how to change the password. I don't see anything in the Vault admin web interface where any of the SQL connection or authentication information can be changed.

I know how to change the password on the SQL server. I know that the Vault SQL login information is kept on the web server where the Vault web interface runs, in the web.config file, in the <appSettings> section. What I'm not sure about is whether that password is encrypted or if it's clear text.

If it's clear text than I can just change the password on the SQL server and update the web.config. If it's encrypted in the web.config, how do I change it?

Thank you!
Dale

Beth

Re: Changing Vault SQL authentication: sgvaultuser password

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:48 am

The sgvaultuser password in the web.config is encrypted. You can change it to plaintext by changing pwd=some_encrypted_thing to password=your_new_password. For example, if your new sgvaultuser password was flyingpigs, it would look like password=flyingpigs.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dbeitz

Post by dbeitz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 am

Thank you very much!
Dale

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:48 am

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler