Loading a solution in Visual Studio fails in Vault 3.0

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Shaun

Loading a solution in Visual Studio fails in Vault 3.0

Post by Shaun » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:37 pm

Hey there,

We have just upgraded to Vault 3.0 and we are having trouble with a large solution file (20 projects) which used to work fine on 2.06.

When you load the solution in Visual Studio it starts loading in all the projects and at a random point in time it stops and pops up the error:

[Source Control]
An error occured when you attempted to access the source control system.
Check Installation.
[OK] [Help]

And from that point on, I get the following message for the other projects:
The project xxx.csproj appears to be under control, but no source control provider is installed on this computer. Source control will be disabled for this project.

However, there obviously is a provider installed (since it worked for the projects loaded in so far / works for other solutions). It just seems that when there is a large amount of projects in a solution the client dies.

Is there a log file on the client I can check? (The server log file just says that I managed to log in successfully)

Thanks,
Shaun

dan

Post by dan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:27 pm

Yes, the client log file would be the place to start on this. See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2146 for instructions on how to get a log for the IDE client.

Just curious: If you do an Open From Source Control to a fresh working folder, does it exhibit the same behavior?

Shaun

Fixed with Client Install of 3.0.1

Post by Shaun » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:39 pm

I installed the latest client and server and everything seems to be working...

Shaun

Maybe not...

Post by Shaun » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:30 pm

I take that back - it started failing again - the last message I have in the log file is:

12/15/2004 6:33:44 PM <ide>: [<No Name>:2872] [SCCOpenProject] bCreateIfNew=False, bSilentOpen=False, projectName="$/Common/ErrorLogging", localPath="C:\Documents and Settings\s.mccarthy.IS\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\CreditSights\Common\ErrorLogging", serverPathAndProfile="http://vault.is.not/VaultService|Shaun", storedRepID="3"
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstanceCOMWrapper.SCCOpenProject(Boolean, Boolean, String, String, String, String)
?

dan

Re: Maybe not...

Post by dan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:57 pm

Does the working folder of "C:\Documents and Settings\s.mccarthy.IS\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\CreditSights\Common\ErrorLogging" seem correct?

Also, is the connection string of "http://vault.is.not/VaultService" valid (or was that edited before sending it to the forum)?

Also, have you tried a brand new Open From Source Control? It might reset whatever is causing the problem with connecting.

Shaun

Update on load

Post by Shaun » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:00 am

I thought the problem had gone away (I deleted all the scc files) but it has come back again. The working directory and url are correct - note that the problem is intermittent - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, so it doesn't sound like a configuration issue to me... It fails on different projects (rather than the same one each time)

I have attached the .sln file

Shaun
Attachments
cf.txt
Solution File
(25.23 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times

dan

Post by dan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:38 am

In looking at the solution file, these lines look funny:

SccProvider[X] = MSSCCI:SourceGear\u0020Vault\u0020Client

I am guessing the \u0020 is code for a space. However, this may be confusing something along the way.

Also, which kind of projects are in your solution, and which version of VS are you using? The test solutions I have here don't have SCCPROVIDER in the solution file at all. They are in the project files, and look like:

SccProvider = "SAK"

Which means the provider information didn't need to be written there because it is stored somewhere else (according to a google search at http://groups-beta.google.com/group/mic ... e310cd44ec )

So, next suggestions would to:

1. Really do try a new Open From Source Control to a brand new working fodler if you have not done that. I suspect there is something stored somewhere in a solution/binding/project file that is causing confusion.

2. Try hand editing the solution file (after making a copy of it) to either remove the funky \u0020 and replacing them with a space, or possibly removing the line altoghether, or possibly replacing the value with "SAK". These are all complete guesses, and may cause no projects to load at all with that version of the solution file, but it is worth a shot.

Shaun

Still no luck

Post by Shaun » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:35 pm

I decided to create a brand new solution and import each project individually from source control. About halfway through the import process it threw up the same error and Visual Studio crashed. Could it be a problem with the server?

Shaun

Version of MS Visual Studio

Post by Shaun » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:36 pm

The version of Visual Studio I am using is 2003 (7.1.3088)

dan

Post by dan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:02 pm

If it is a server problem, it would show up in the server log file. Check there (usually in windows/temp/sgvault) and see if anything looks fishy. You might want to put the server log in debug mode, which would require a server restart.

Shaun

Server Problem

Post by Shaun » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:37 am

Hey Dan,

Fortunately, this problem only seems to be affecting the one solution at the moment, so I only have to deal with it every few weeks when we need to change that solution. However, after remaking the solution a few times, it seems to be a function of the fact there are 20 or so projects in it, rather than the composition of the file.

How do I put the server into debug mode?

Shaun

Shaun

Severity Increased

Post by Shaun » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:32 pm

It seems that it's not solution specific - just very intermittent... My hunch is that the server gets overloaded and can't respond to the client requests, which causes the client to crash.

Shaun

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:44 pm

Shaun,

Email me using the button below. I have a debug version of the Vault IDE component that may address the problem (which has been reported by a number of folks). If it works, we'll be doing a 3.0.2 soon.

Thanks,

aedell

Re: Loading a solution in Visual Studio fails in Vault 3.0

Post by aedell » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:38 pm

We have just upgraded to Vault 3.0 and we are having trouble with a large solution file (20 projects) which used to work fine on 2.06.

When you load the solution in Visual Studio it starts loading in all the projects and at a random point in time it stops and pops up the error:

[Source Control]
An error occured when you attempted to access the source control system.
Check Installation.
[OK] [Help]

And from that point on, I get the following message for the other projects:
The project xxx.csproj appears to be under control, but no source control provider is installed on this computer. Source control will be disabled for this project.
Just wanted to add that we too have recently upgraded to 3.0 and we get this same exact error frequently! When we get the error, we simply close the solution, and try again, and the second or third time it works without a problem (hopefully). Our solution contains 13 projects, FYI. Perhaps unrelated, but sometimes I open the solution and get a "Connect to Server (vault)" dialog for EVERY project in the solution (i.e., thirteen times I need to enter username and password).

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:54 pm

OK - send me your email as well, and I'll get a build out to you too, to see whether the new changes work for you.