GetByDisplayVersion API call doesn't use baseline file.

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

dking513

GetByDisplayVersion API call doesn't use baseline file.

Post by dking513 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 am

Hello,

I have a custom client that is using the vault API.

I have specified that baseline files should be stored in the working folders.
(I have done this programatically using ClientInstance.WorkingFolderOptions.StoreDataInWorkingFolders = True)

If I call the .Get method to get a file for the first time, the client downloads the file (and creates the baseline file in the hidden _sgvault folder). When I call .Get a second time for the same file, no file is downloaded, instead the baseline file is copied and renamed in the working folder. This is the correct behavior.

If I try to get prior versions of a file by using the .GetByDisplayVersion method, I am finding that it downloads the file every time - even though the first time seems to correctly create the baseline file.

I notice that if I use the VaultGUI client to get prior versions of the file, it appropriately uses the cached baselines. What am I doing wrong in my use of the API? What do I need to do programatically to make use of the caching?

Thank you,
Dave

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:12 pm

Take a look at http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4172 for info on how to get a historical version without having to resort to getbydisplayversion. I'm assuming that you have run a history query which returns the objverid of the version you need to download.

dking513

Post by dking513 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:25 pm

I'm a little confused by your reply. The thread that you sent me to suggests using GetByDisplayVersionToNonWorkingFolder.

Yes, I have a history query, so I have the ObjVerID.

Are you suggesting that I can set the objverid property of the file (as opposed to just the display version) and that this will correctly use the cache, even if I am calling one of the NonWorkingFolder methods?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:32 pm

The main thing I wanted you to see was getting the VaultClientFile object, cloning it, set the objverid, and then call the regular Get() method, which will hit the cache.

dking513

Post by dking513 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:35 pm

Okay - I understand.
I have been getting the File object, cloning it, and setting the Version.
I'll set the ObjVerID instead and use .Get, and let you know how it works.
Thanks.

dking513

Post by dking513 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:12 pm

In some cases, I don't have the ObjVerID handy.

Is there an efficient way to use the API to figure out the ObjVerID for a particular display version of a file if all I have is the File object and the desired display version number?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:22 pm

In that case, I would recommend just using getbydisplayversion. There's no easy way for a client to get the objverid, so that's why we created getbydisplayversion. That's also why getbydisplayversion doesn't hit the cache, since the cache is keyed of objverid.

dking513

Post by dking513 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 am

Jeremy,
Thanks for your help. I now have my client making use of the cache correctly. In the cases where I don't already have the objverid from a prior history query, I am performing a history query at that point to determine it. This doesn't take long, and the performance I pick up from the cache outweighs the time to lookup the objverid.
Thanks,
Dave