All files changed to status UNKNOWN

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

All files changed to status UNKNOWN

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:42 am

One of our developers has been having trouble using the Vault client. On several occasions, he's mentioned that files go to Renegade status for no reason - a DIFF would show no changes. Yesterday I had him upgrade to the 2.0.2 client.

Today he called me in to show that the entire repository changed to file status to UNKNOWN (except for those file that are MISSING). Everything was okay when he check out a file to work with, and then 10 minutes later when he returned to the Vault client all status information for every file in every folder was UNKNOWN.

His machine is WinXP Pro with all service packs and maintenance.
The status information is not saved in the working folders, but under the Documents and Settings>Application Data>Sourcegear...

He's already done the "get lastest version" to resynch his files. Any idea about what might cause everything to go out of synch?

Note: No other users have reported this problem.

Thanks,
Don

PS. Vault server is also at 2.0.2.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:15 pm

This would happen if he had deleted his cache files, since it would have removed all his baseline files (the Unknown problem).

Files go to Renegade if their timestamps have changed, even if their contents have not changed. Is it possible that a program he was using changed the timestamp on the files?

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:33 pm

After this happenned and before he did the "get latest version", I looked in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client\0628374C-BAF7-444C-BC94-00C992783BDA\tom\_sgvault

It still had a very robust directory structure. Also, he had no idea about where the cache was located, so I doubt that he could have accidently modified anything...

As for the renegade problem, he thinks that even the timestamp information was correct. I did some reading and saw forum entries about timestamps and daylight saving time changes, but the developer is sure the renegade happenned at least once before the time change.

When this happens again (renegade or unknown status), do you have anything you want me to look at???

Thanks,
Don

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:36 pm

I've got more information. After talking more with Tom (the guy with the UNKNOWN problem), I may have discovered what's been going on.

Most of our employees have permanent VPN tunnels between the office and their home networks (router/router). Tom also tends to leave a vault client active on both his home and work systems. I don't think there is a problem with this, because I often do the same.

However, at one point Tom changed the vault option on his home system to use "Store working folder data inside working folders". I've personally been working under the assumption that vault options aren't local, but are applied for a user. Tom thought he was making the change only for the home vault client.

Do you have an opinion for the same user running two clients, and then sets the "Store working folder data inside working folders" on one machine?

Don

dan

Post by dan » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:24 am

Ahh - that makes sense for the Unknown issue. Unfortunately, this option is obviously machine specific but stored on the server, and applies to all machines. We probably need an extra warning when changing this option anyway, as it will always result in your files going to an Unknown status, and needs to be toggled very carefully and intentionally.

As for the renegade problem, it is probably something that changed the file or its time stamp. If it happens again, just try to determine what may have been touching the file previous to its status change.