VS.NET 2003 integration problem

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lassevk

VS.NET 2003 integration problem

Post by lassevk » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:26 am

This is Vault 2.0.2.

The first project I open in VS.NET 2003 that is in source control works fine. However, if I close this project and open another, on my home Vault server, I get a few problems. This seems to be linked to switching servers, as opening a project on my home server first, then switching to the work server, creates the same problem.

When I try to check out a file, I get an error message:
C:\Dev\VS.NET\LVK\Debugging\FogBUGZ\BugReportSubmitException.cs - File is exclusively checked out by another user.

The Output window in VS.NET lists:
---- Operation started at time 10:15:58 ----
[4/16/2004 10:15:58 AM] Checking out file $/VS.NET/LVK/Debugging/FogBUGZ/BugReportSubmitException.cs
[4/16/2004 10:16:05 AM] Checked out file $/VS.NET/LVK/Debugging/FogBUGZ/BugReportSubmitException.cs
---- Operation terminated with error at time 10:16:05 ----

After this, the file is marked in VS.NET with a small bluish circle with a diagonal line over it (blue stop sign?).

Going to the vault client, the file has been checked out ok. In VS.NET, the file is editable, so it is not readonly, but it doesn't appear in the Pending Checkins window so VS.NET doesn't think the file has been checked out for editing.

Restarting the IDE and going straight to this project lists the file as checked out in the Pending Checkins window, and it has been marked appropriately in the solution explorer.

If I start out with a work project after restarting IDE, and then opening the one vaulted on my home server, the file is again shown with that bluish circle-symbol and not listed in pending checkins.

At my home server I'm using a different username from the one I use at work, so that might be it. I tested this by adding a user at work with the same username I use at home, and this time it worked ok.

As a guess at what might be the problem, it seems to me that the Vault plugin for VS.NET remembers my username somehow and when I switch servers it uses the new username for authentication, but seems to keep the previous one. Thus, any files I check out on the second server looks like they're checked out by someone else since the usernames doesn't match.

Since I won't be switching back and forth like this a lot, it's not a big problem for me, but I thought I'd just let you know about it.

A second solution for me is to just use the same usernames at both servers.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:41 am

Thanks for the report. Vault does store the profile that was used with the project, but it may not be used when switching within sessions. We'll log this as something to look into. If you are logged in as a different user than the last time you logged in for the project, it will definitely complain about files being checked out to someone else.

One thing to try: If you don't have (from Visual studio), then Tools->Options->Source Control->SCC Provider->Advanced->General->"Always disconnect from server on Add/Open To/From source control" checked on, you may want to toggle that and see if it helps any.