unnerving message: "undoing selected changes"

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mikep

unnerving message: "undoing selected changes"

Post by mikep » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:36 pm

When using the Pending Change Set to highlight a bunch of modified files and then committing them, the message "undoing selected changes..." appears in the status bar. This has the effect of scaring the $#@ outta me and results in me killing the process in an attempt to save the days work. After backing up the files and trying again, I'm happy to say that the files were, in fact, checked in appropriately. This may only happen when there is a mixed-bag of statuses in the Pending Change Set but I haven't verified that.

Fortunately, it just seems like an erroneous, panic-inspiring, message and not actually a loss of data.

-Mike

taustin

Post by taustin » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:48 pm

I'm with Mike on this one. I was having some trouble last week (of my own doing) and noticed this message. I'm sure that everything still worked/s correctly, but this message makes your stomach hurt when you see it, even if it is "normal". :shock:

dan

Post by dan » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:56 pm

Yes, this message needs work :)

What it means is that there are files that were checked out, but have not actually been modified, and your option to check in unchanged files is to undo the checkout. So, it is completely harmless, but I understand why it is panic-inducing. We'll fix it up.

mikep

Post by mikep » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:15 pm

Thanks for the quick response. It goes a bit further than that though. When I highlighted the modified files and hit commit, I did not have any unmodified files selected. Perhaps if there is even an unmodified file in the list, whether selected or not, this heart-wrenching message will appear?

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:25 pm

The message would only appear when the change was really being undone. It's possible you had a file that appeared to be Modified (because the date on disk had changed) but the CRC check found that it was identical to the one Vault originally fetched. This check is done only at check in / commit time (it would be too slow to do when scanning for changes). You would have seen the message in this case.

I checked in the fix for this bug just a few minutes ago, so new versions of Vault won't display the message on check in / commit.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:37 am

I know a large majority of the files were modified but the status bar never changed, flickered, or anything. It was basically stuck on the message. Even after the process stopped, the message was still sitting down in the status bar. Hope it helps.

-Mike

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:53 am

See this thread for an explanation of why it took so long. Vault would refresh its check out list between each undo, and depending on your server's performance, this could take a few seconds each time.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`