Login message "The system cannot find the file specifie

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dsch

Login message "The system cannot find the file specifie

Post by dsch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:09 am

I am using Fortress Client 1.1.0(16216). I have had memory problems. Those problems were fixed. Tried reinstalling the Fortress Client and VS 2008. Unsure of which file it is looking for.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:02 am

Is that the full error message?

Could you give me the steps you are taking when you get this error message? Are you trying to open from Fortress using VS 2008, open a solution from disk?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dsch

Post by dsch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:22 am

This is the full message.
I am opening the Fortress Client from the desktop. (VS2008 - Fortress connect does the same thing.)
I am presented with the login prompt. Username and Fortress-Server are already filled in. All I need to do is key in my password and press enter (or click OK).
A box pops up. The title is: SourceGear Fortress Error
Under that is: An error has occured. The error message is:
In the text area is: The system cannot find the file specified.

The only action is OK. Clicking that brings me back to the login prompt. I can repeat it as often as I want.

This occurs wheither or not I give a vailid password or username. I can see it flash "Disconnecting..." at the bottom of the client. If I give an invalid server, it gives an " Unable to connect to http://y/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL." message.

Other people are working fine. I can sign on using someone elses workstation. I assume some file was damaged while the memory was bad. I just don't know which file to fix. Re installing SourceGear does not fix it.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 am

The first thing I would suggest is to delete your client-side cache files. There may be info cached that's out of sync with the database.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

You can leave the CachMember_workingfolderassignments, so that you don't have to reset working folders.

So the steps would be:

Close any open clients.
Delete the client-side cache
Then open your client and re-connect.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dsch

Post by dsch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 am

I tried deleting the cache. In particular:
Closed client.
Deleted all files except _sgvault folder and Cache...WorkingFolder...
Tried client. File not found error
Closed client.
Deleted the Cache...WorkingFolder... and _sgvault folder
Closed client.
Removed username folder
Closed client
Removed GUID folder
Closed client
Removed Client directory
Closed client
Removed VsipClientProjectSettings.xml from the VsipSccClient directory
Tried Client. File not found error
Removed Fortress_1 and VsipSccClient directories
Tried Client. File not found error
Closed Client

Please note the username and server name remained throughout. All of these files and folders are setting in the recycle bin so I can put them back.

The File not found error I am saying here is the original "The system cannot find the file specified." I just did not want to repeat that.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:27 pm

So it's probably not your cache. There may still be something wrong with the machine. I'd suggest uninstalling the Vault client, reinstalling the .Net Framework 2.0, then reinstalling.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dsch

Post by dsch » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:58 am

It took some effort to remove enough software to reinstall .NET 2.0. I was able to download the runtime from MicroSoft. However, the install directed me to a KB article that said I could not reinstall 2.0 while 2.0 SP1 and/or 3.5 was on the computer. It said that I must uninstall them first.

So I uninstalled VS 2008, VS 2005, SQL Server, all the SDKs and all the .NET framework except 1.1 and below.

I installed the .NET Framework 2.0. Rebooted and installed Fortress.

I started up the Fortress client (remember VS is not on the box right now.)

I received the "System cannot find the file specified" message again when I tried to login.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Did you uninstall and reinstall the Fortress client after reinstalling the Framework?

Try that if you haven't already. If you have uninstalled and reinstalled, then you could enable client side logging to see if any useful messages are generated.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1534
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dsch

Post by dsch » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:16 pm

I had tech support do repair on Windows XP. Uninstalled and installed Fortress after that. Turned on logging. Pasted some of the log below. Did not paste all. Tried to limit to just the error.

4/9/2008 1:29:46 PM <connection>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Login started.
4/9/2008 1:29:46 PM <statussearch>: [Main:2844] Connection state changed from Unconnected to Connecting
4/9/2008 1:29:46 PM <emailview>: [Main:2844] Connection state changed from Unconnected to Connecting
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <eventengine>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Event fired: VaultClientOperationsLib.ConnectionStateChangedEvent
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <connection>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Logout started.
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <statussearch>: [Main:2844] Connection state changed from Connecting to Disconnecting
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <emailview>: [Main:2844] Connection state changed from Connecting to Disconnecting
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <connection>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Logout finished.
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <eventengine>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Event fired: VaultClientOperationsLib.ChangeSetItemsChangedEvent
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <eventengine>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Event fired: VaultClientOperationsLib.ActiveRepositoryChangedEvent
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <eventengine>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Event fired: VaultClientOperationsLib.TreeStructureChangedEvent
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <eventengine>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Event fired: VaultClientOperationsLib.ConnectionStateChangedEvent
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <statussearch>: [Main:2844] Active repository changed to
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <busy>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] Setting GUI to unbusy.
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <statussearch>: [Main:2844] Connection state changed from Disconnecting to Unconnected
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <emailview>: [Main:2844] Active repository changed to
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <emailview>: [Main:2844] Connection state changed from Disconnecting to Unconnected
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <eventengine>: [<No Name>:3504] Event fired: VaultClientOperationsLib.BackgroundChangeScanEvent
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <eventengine>: [<No Name>:3504] Event fired: VaultClientOperationsLib.BackgroundChangeScanEvent
4/9/2008 1:29:47 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3480] [System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException.ThrowCryptogaphicException(Int32 hr)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils._CreateCSP(CspParameters param, Boolean randomKeyContainer, SafeProvHandle& hProv)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.CreateProvHandle(CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer)
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.get_PersistKeyInCsp()
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.set_PersistKeyInCsp(Boolean value)
at VaultLib.VaultUserCrypt.EncryptPassword(String strUnencryptedPassword, Byte[] publicKey, Byte[] exponent, String& strEncryptedPassword, String& strRMKey)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Login(String urlbase, String username, String password)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ConnectToServer(String& outserverPath, Boolean forceDialogShow, String& outprofileName, String& outusername, Boolean& outbUseSSL, Boolean& outbAutoLogin)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)]The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException.ThrowCryptogaphicException(Int32 hr)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils._CreateCSP(CspParameters param, Boolean randomKeyContainer, SafeProvHandle& hProv)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.CreateProvHandle(CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer)
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.get_PersistKeyInCsp()
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.set_PersistKeyInCsp(Boolean value)
at VaultLib.VaultUserCrypt.EncryptPassword(String strUnencryptedPassword, Byte[] publicKey, Byte[] exponent, String& strEncryptedPassword, String& strRMKey)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Login(String urlbase, String username, String password)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ConnectToServer(String& outserverPath, Boolean forceDialogShow, String& outprofileName, String& outusername, Boolean& outbUseSSL, Boolean& outbAutoLogin)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Which .Net Framework are you using?

You should be able to work around this issue by giving your user account permissions to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

dsch

Post by dsch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 am

In the end, I should be on 3.5 for VS 2008. But prior post said reinstall 2.0. So I ununstalled VS 2008, .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 to get back to where I could install 2.0. I installed that and still received the error. I reinstalled VS 2008 which includes .NET Framework 3.5. I got all the latest updates. I still get the error. Currently the list includes 1.1, 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366) 2.0 SP1, 3.0 SP1 and 3.5

Which permission should this directory have? I have walked backward through the tree. Each directory has either 'Users' or 'Everyone' with read permission. This specific directory has Everyone as: List Folder/Read Data;Read Attributes; Create FIles/Write Data; Create Folders/Apend Data; Write Attributes; Write Extended Attributes and Read Permissions.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:49 am

Your user account should have full control of that directory.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 am

We've also had a report that deleting the windows user and readding it fixed this problem for another 3.5 Framework user.

dsch

Post by dsch » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:43 am

Added another user to the machine and they were able to login just fine.

Thanks everyone for your help!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:07 am

You're welcome.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear