Eclipse plug-in available? Planned?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

scubapro10

Eclipse plug-in available? Planned?

Post by scubapro10 » Wed May 12, 2004 7:47 am

Hi,

We are using visual source safe as our SCM repository for Java projects developped using eclipse IDE.

We've bought SourceOffsite licenses for our offshore development team. We wanted to know if an eclipse sourceoffsite plug-in is available or if you plan to develop one?

Thanks in advance.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 12, 2004 3:04 pm

We don't currently support IDE integration with Eclipe, and have no immediate plans to do so. We have had a few other requests for this, so I'll add your "vote."

Of course, you can always use the SOS GUI client for version control and do your development in Eclipse
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

scubapro10

Post by scubapro10 » Thu May 13, 2004 3:53 am

Thanks for the information.

We will maybe investigate the cost for us to implement such an eclipse plug-in. Therefore, is there a sourceoffsite API which is accessible through Java (Java classes, COM layer, command-line API) and that we could use for this purpose?

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 17, 2004 9:46 am

Sorry, no. SOS does not have a public API. We use the SourceSafe API for SOS operations.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

tempuser

Let me supply another vote for the eclipse integration

Post by tempuser » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:26 pm

This would be very useful for my company as well.

OliverSmith

Post by OliverSmith » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:37 pm

You could - of course - use the command line binaries to implement such a plug-in.

SteveGarbarini

Eclipse plug-in for SourceOffsite

Post by SteveGarbarini » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:01 am

My company would also benefit from an Eclipse plug-in for SourceOffsite. If not that, then there should be some sort of API (or COM) to access the internals of SourceOffsite.

Ken O

We could use SOS integration with Eclipse too

Post by Ken O » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:21 am

We could use SOS integration with Eclipse too

vandyfan_fl

Ditto

Post by vandyfan_fl » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:03 am

We use Eclipse here for JAVA decelopment as well...

franrein

Integration with Eclipse is a must.

Post by franrein » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:44 am

I think that is a mistake that your company is not motivated to release a plug-in for Eclipse in the short term.

More and more developers are adopting eclipse as their IDE to develop applications in Java and C++ and more software companies are creating plug-in for Eclipse.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:57 am

We don't have a timeframe yet, but it's on our wish list. I've added your name to those who have requested this feature.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lsiler

Another vote for Eclipse plug-in

Post by lsiler » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:22 pm

We use SOS on linux and windows clients and would like to see an Eclipse plug-in for both platforms. There is a pretty obvious business case for Source Gear if you look at the community building around Eclipse.

Anyways, please add anoter vote to your list!

dantelope

Eclipse/WSAD

Post by dantelope » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:56 pm

Speaking on behalf of a large, enterprise development team comprised of one top-tier IT consulting firm, contractors from two large IT staffing companies, and employees of the client (a top-tier auto and home insurance provider based in Michigan), please add several hundred votes for integration with Eclipse (We use WSAD, but hey, what's the difference besides thousands of dollars and the fact that WSAD is a usless pig?).

Integration with our development environment is a MUST. Ergo, despite your product being potentially the best of the bunch, we probably won't pick it.

And that just sucks for everybody.

Perhaps you should open some APIs and ask your community to develop the plugin for you so you can offer it for free and enhance your company's bottom line for a small cost?

My $0.02. It's free. It may also devalue over time.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:46 am

SOS uses SourceSafe's API, so we really don't have an API to share.

We hear you. It's on the wish list.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Kristoffer

Post by Kristoffer » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:40 am

Please add 4 Swedish developers to this list as well. :) We tried Clearcase but got lost in the hugeness and the complexity of that product (and the fact that you seem to need to do 3-4 operations just to check in or out a file). So we use Vault and WSAD (but will pretty soon upgrade to Rational Application Developer 6.0).

We really like Vault and would really like IDE intregration with WSAD/RAD!

BTW, we don't use the SourceOffSite product, we use Sourcegear Vault.