starting and stopping sossvr.exe -- implications

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dhagan

starting and stopping sossvr.exe -- implications

Post by dhagan » Wed May 12, 2004 7:34 pm

Does anyone have any experience or comments about what happens when the SOS Server is paused?

If there are transactions in progress, what provisions are made to ensure that those transactions are complted?

Are there any known issueas or pitfalls?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 13, 2004 9:15 am

Both the SOS Server and the SOS client keep copies of files in temp directories. This minimizes problems with disconnects or server restarts.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dhagan

Post by dhagan » Thu May 13, 2004 11:46 am

Linda, thanks for the reply.
What exactly can I expect for transactional integrity checkins? If there is a rollback will it be logged? What is the potential for partial transactions?

Can you be a little more specific by what you mean by "minimize"?

Doug

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 14, 2004 9:57 am

As I posted earlier, the SOS Server and SOS Client both keep temp copies of files. When the Client sends a file to the SOS Server, the server compares the file it has received with what the Client has sent. Unless these match, the file is not committed to the database. So you don't have incomplete files in the database or rollbacks.

By "minimize," I'm saying the system works, but of course with technology, nothing is 100% guaranteed. :)

However, in the history of SourceOffSite, we've never had reports of database corruption due to server restarts (or anything else specific to SOS, for that matter.)

In the interest of your users, who will be abruptly disconnected when you stop the SOS Server, I'd suggest notifying them of the scheduled downtimes. But nothing will happen to their files.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager