Visual Studio 2008 Configuration to use SourceOffSite

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

2cbtaylor

Visual Studio 2008 Configuration to use SourceOffSite

Post by 2cbtaylor » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:43 am

SourceOffSite is already installed.

If I have a Visual Studio 2008 solution that is either not under any source control at all or is under Visual Source safe control, how do I configure Visual Studio 2008 to use SourceOffSite.

For a solution that uses Visual Source Safe, my starting point will be operating temporarily disconnected.

If there is not step by step How Tos for these two starting points, it seems like it would be a good idea to create some and make them easy to find when someone clicks on Technical Support for SourceOffSite.

Beth

Re: Visual Studio 2008 Configuration to use SourceOffSite

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:23 am

Just as an FYI, SourceOffSite doesn't have official support for VS 2008 until the next release. We are testing.

Did you install SOS before or after VS 2008?

Provided you installed SOS second, you will open your solution in VS 2008. If it's bound to VSS, you may get errors. That is ok. If it gives you the option to permanently remove the bindings, that is what you want to do. Once it is open, go to File - Source Control - Change Source Control and unbind the entire solution. Click ok and perform a Save All. Then go to Tools - Options - Source Control and change your SCC provider to SourceOffSite. Once that is saved, return to the Change Source Control window and rebind. This time, it should bind to SOS.

You might have to check the option to "Make SOS your default SCC provider" that is found in the SOS GUI client under Tools->Options-> General as well.

In our SourceOffSite KB articles, you will find helpful information for switching from VSS to SOS. Some articles in particular:
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support