VS2005 IDE hangs when connection is lost

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

guillaume

VS2005 IDE hangs when connection is lost

Post by guillaume » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:50 am

Hi,

I am using SourceOffsite 4.2 with VS2005 on Vista.
About once a day and for a short time, i lose my connection to the server (maybe because my IP adress is renewed by my ISP, or because the server is in maintenance,...). Anyway, it is not at all a problem for any of the applications I am using, except for SourceOffsite.
As soon as SourceOffsite fails to access the server from VS2005 IDE, VS2005 IDE freezes and I need to kill the process (if SourceOffsite IDE is running at the same time, I get the expected "server closed connection").

I thought that the "output status message" parameter had something to do with it, because I remember that when it happened on my previous machine (running XP), with this parameter set to "Using popup dialogs", I used to get dozens of cascading warning modal box (about one every 5 min since the connection had been lost), which I needed to close (what was, by the way, rather annoying) to get the IDE back.
On my Vista machine, I set the "output status message" to "Through the IDE", and thought it was the reason for the hanging IDE, but I tried to set it to "Using popup dialogs" for several days now, and it hangs too.

Any clue ?

regards,
Guillaume

lbauer

Re: VS2005 IDE hangs when connection is lost

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:40 am

SOS should do a better job of handling the loss of a connection. I've logged bug 13752 to investigate further. I don't have any suggestions in the meantime, since the dropped connections are beyond our control.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

guillaume

Post by guillaume » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:20 am

Hi,

I don' know the status about this problem now, and if it may be fixed in version 5, but it has become a real problem:
As I said, each time the connection is lost, even for a short while, my VS2005 IDE hangs and does not recover after the connection is back, and I need to kill the process.
I not only lose unsaved changes in files, breakpoints and generally all that is saved only on quitting the IDE properly, but also the hanging IDE is using 100% CPU as long as not killed.
Am I really the only one who experiences that ? What should happen normally on the VS2005 IDE on Vista when it cannot access the server to update file status ? does it display a message box (that maybe is hidden on my machine for whatever reason (process user, or else), and that I can therefore not close, hence the hanging) ?
Furthermore, couldn't SourceOffsite try to recover silently without any modal messagebox (could be an option, in case).

Thank you for investigating,
Regards,
Guillaume

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:17 am

This isn't commonly reported by SOS users, but since SOS expects an unbroken connection, the current version doesn't handle broken connections very well. We are working on improving this for SOS 5.0, due out later this year.

In the meantime, you may want to consider working disconnected. It involves some extra steps, but may be preferable to losing your work. This KB article is for Vault, but applies to SOS integration with VS 2005 as well:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=785
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dev731

Post by dev731 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 am

enabling the option 'send keep alives' helps with this problem. Unless you have wireless ethernet and it's losing connection constantly

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks for the tip. It may help other users. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear