SOS 4.2 client hangs with devstudio open

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

markheth

SOS 4.2 client hangs with devstudio open

Post by markheth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:39 pm

I have seen this several times before, and on different versions of the client. Currently, I am on 4.2, and using Visual Studio 2005.

I find sometimes Visual Studio is connected properly to SourceSafe via. SOS, and when I go to use the client (for labeling features), the client will never connect, and just hang.
If I go and close down Visual Studio, I then get a message from the client "Opening file ...database1.sos in read-only mode. Status information will not be persisted during this session."
After I dismiss this message, the client connects and opens just fine.

Is there any way to get it to work all the time when Visual Studio is still open? Sometimes it works (I think if I open the client first), but often it does not.

Beth

Re: SOS 4.2 client hangs with devstudio open

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:56 pm

Both clients (the one in VS and the regular SOS client) are trying to write to cache files at the same time. This could be problematic. Some users are able to do that with no problem and others are never able to do it. I don't think it's something we support. I do have a feature request open to change this behavior that I can add your "vote" to.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

markheth

Post by markheth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Yes, please do. Thank you.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:19 pm

It's been logged. Thanks for the feedback.

F: 6087
Beth Kieler

markheth

Post by markheth » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am

Just a slight update,

This has become an even bigger issue for me now, since our application is setup as several applications, I need more than one copy of DevStudio open to debug these most of the time. Quite often during debugging DevStudio decides to update source control status, and inevitably it will hang one of the instances causing me to kill one of the instances of DevStudio, losing any unsaved work.

I could work unattached to source off site, but this kind of defies the point of having it...

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:11 pm

There is a developer working on this issue. It looks like it will involve code changes. If there's any interest in either beta testing or an SOS 5 release, please let me know.

Try checking out your project before debugging to see if that helps for the time being.

Are both clients making updates or doing something that hits SOS at the same time? Or is only one of the open instances working at a time?

Is it possible for you to use an additional login for one of the other instances? That would make it make another cache for the other user.

You might try changing the settings for the Keep-Alive Signal under SOS Tools - Options to see if that helps.
Beth Kieler

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Let me clarify Beth's comments.

The current design of SOS 4.x does not lend itself well to concurrent instances of the client to the same server. We will be investigating this issue and hope to resolve (or minimize) the problem for SOS 5.0.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

markheth

Post by markheth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks! I'll look forward to v5.0 then!

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks for your patience.