SOS Show History fails in SOS client, though working in VSS

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dighorn

SOS Show History fails in SOS client, though working in VSS

Post by dighorn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:15 am

I have a problem using Show History on a one of the VSS branch files/folder. The client reports
"Operation Failed". The Server side log file has a little more info, but it is not very helpful...
12/15/2008 6:59:24 AM - 1: GetFileHistoryException: File or project not found
12/15/2008 6:59:24 AM - 12/15/2008 6:59:24 AM - Server Exception (400): OPERATION_FAILED
12/15/2008 6:59:24 AM - 1: Server Error: 400
12/15/2008 6:59:32 AM - 1: GetFileHistoryException: File or project not found
12/15/2008 6:59:32 AM - 12/15/2008 6:59:32 AM - Server Exception (400): OPERATION_FAILED
12/15/2008 6:59:32 AM - 1: Server Error: 400

I can obtain the history fine via VSS. It's only SOS that is failing. I have run Analyze repeatedly and it reports no problems. We're running SOS Server version V4.1.2, VSS version 8.0 on Windows Server 2003.
Other branch files/folders have no problems with "SHOW HISTORY", I have tried every one.

Other useful details are-
Automation Component Version - ssapi.dll ver.8.0.50727.42

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dig

Beth

Re: SOS Show History fails in SOS client, though working in VSS

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:52 am

Can anyone else show history on that branch?

What is the size of the branch? By that I mean is it thousands of files and folders, hundreds?

How long is the path to the most embedded file? By that I mean would it be $\Branch\Folder1\Subfolder1\file.txt, which is a short path involving 4 nodes, or would it be more like $\Branch\Folder1\Subfolder1\sub2\sub3\sub4\sub5\sub6\sub7\sub8\sub9\sub10\file.txt, which is a long path?

Is it the entire folder that's a problem or just a file?

Would you be willing to upgrade to SOS 4.2 on both the client and server? Having the latest fixes should help.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dighorn

Post by dighorn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 am

1. how can i check the sizze of the branch?
2. I cannot check the history for even a short file in the branch. example - $\Branch\Folder1\test.jsp
3. Its only one Branch (earlier 3.1 now 3.2(exact copy of 3.1)) is having problem.
4. already tried upgrading client to SOS4.2, same issue no luck!!

Thanks.
Beth wrote:Can anyone else show history on that branch?

What is the size of the branch? By that I mean is it thousands of files and folders, hundreds?

How long is the path to the most embedded file? By that I mean would it be $\Branch\Folder1\Subfolder1\file.txt, which is a short path involving 4 nodes, or would it be more like $\Branch\Folder1\Subfolder1\sub2\sub3\sub4\sub5\sub6\sub7\sub8\sub9\sub10\file.txt, which is a long path?

Is it the entire folder that's a problem or just a file?

Would you be willing to upgrade to SOS 4.2 on both the client and server? Having the latest fixes should help.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:00 pm

1. how can i check the sizze of the branch?
If you performed a Get to bring it to disk, how much space would it use there?
2. I cannot check the history for even a short file in the branch. example - $\Branch\Folder1\test.jsp
I'm not worried about if you can check it or not. I just want to find out if anywhere there is an extremely long path that could be referenced by something.

Could you create an archive of the item you are trying to branch or an archive of its parent, then create a new VSS database and restore it to that new database? Then try to view history there. What are your results?
Beth Kieler

SteveKasputis

Post by SteveKasputis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 am

I am getting this problem also. I've gotten it randomly in the past, but I noticed something particular this morning

I WAS able to view the history of a file.
Then I branched the file
then I immediately tried to view the history again so I could remove the pin (that seems to linger sometimes).

When I tried to view the history the second time, I got the 'failed' message previously reported.

This does not happen all the time and as of the moment, it's only happened 4 times. But for those 4 files, I can no longer view the history on them any longer. I CAN view the 'properties' and can see the 'General' tab and 'check out status' tab, but if I leave the focus on one of the first 2 tabs, the message in the SOS window says 'retrieving properties' and eventually closes SOS. I can immediately force this close error if I click on the 'links' tab on the 'properties' window of the file I cannnot 'view history' for.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

We are using version 4.1.2 that connects to a VSS backend

Steve Kasputis
Senior Software Engineer
Dolphin Imaging and Management Solutions

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 am

Can you tell me the exact automation component version you are using? Instructions for determining that are posted here: Automation Component Version.
Beth Kieler