History for date range

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dev731

History for date range

Post by dev731 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:04 am

Hi, i'm using v4.2.x(sos.exe v4.1.2.242)
If i request history for some folder and enter From Date or To Date I always get empty result set.
E.g I made changes to some files during 2008 year, now if I enter From=2001 I get empty list

Include File histories and Recursive options are checked. Source safe was able to retrieve information like this.

Is there any way to correct this, as if I want history for a project, then I have to retrieve it without date range filter and that takes time.

DatePicker control has format yyyy.mm.dd. In source safe I always had to enter yyyy-mm-dd format, even though my regional format is different

lbauer

Re: History for date range

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:37 am

Filtering by a range of dates should work, but much depends on the VSS automation component you're using for the SOS Server.

To determine which version of the SourceSafe Automation Component (ssapi.dll) is used by SOS Server, look under this registry key on the SOS Server machine:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32

The value will have the path to the specific ssapi.dll file used by SOS Server. For the version information, locate the ssapi.dll file. Right click on the ssapi.dll file, choose Properties->Version.

What version do you have?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dev731

Post by dev731 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:14 am

ssapi.dll: 8.0.50727.1551

VSS2005 with update installed. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943847)
filtered history would not display, even if client and server are set to same locale and same timezone
empty result set

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:45 pm

I did some history queries in SOS with the VSS 2005 update version, and did not encounter any problems. So this may be specific to your database.

Can you do other types of history operations?

What happens on a file history with a date range?

It sounds like folder history works when a date range is NOT used? Is that correct?

Do date ranges work on any of the folders?

Have you tried running Analyze on your VSS database? Sometimes minor database corruption causes problems for the VSS automation component.

Is there a possibility of using a different version of VSS automation component like VSS 6 with your database and SOS Server on a test machine?

Or -- we may be able to test it here with a copy of your VSS database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dev731

Post by dev731 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 am

there are two types of history operation, I can activate it by clicking on individual file or I can request it for entire project(i.e folder)
File history operation doesn't provide any means to filter events by date, it retrieves whole history and it's sufficient
The problem is with history requested by clicking on project folder.

There are four options, From/To dates, include file history and recursive.
Everything works as expected unless any of From or To dates are entered. If I don't enter them - all the history is retrieved(good..)
If from is enabled(and thus entered) - empty results, doesn't matter what value of To is.
If only TO is entered, then whole history is retrieved, no matter what value of TO was.

>Do date ranges work on any of the folders?
random picking didn't reveal any such folder

>Have you tried running Analyze on your VSS database? Sometimes minor database corruption causes problems for the VSS automation component.
I can't tell it for sure. There were corruptions previously(fixed now), but history didn't seem to work anytime.

>Is there a possibility of using a different version of VSS automation component like VSS 6 with your database and SOS Server on a test machine?
the issue is not that important, and bureaucracy is just too large to go through any of this

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Since we were not able to reproduce this, there's not much more we can suggest. You might try upgrading your client to 4.2, since that's the version we're using.

If it's a bug in the automation component which is exposed by something in your database, Microsoft would need to look at it. Sounds like you don't want to go that route, since it would take a lot of time to get resolved.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear