Permissions for SOS service account

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mohican21

Permissions for SOS service account

Post by mohican21 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:41 am

I searched the FAQ and the forum, but did not see this issue being addressed. I installed SOS server on the same server as VSS. The VSS database is also on the same server, albeit on a different drive (D: instead of C: ). We use Windows integrated authentication for our VSS users, so that they don't have to supply a separate password while accessing VSS. I cannot change this setup since developers have been using VSS for a long time using this method, and would not appreciate having to log in. I understand that in order to use SOS to access the VSS database, I need to use the password method.

When I run the SOS service under my own domain account, since I am a domain admin and also am a VSS user (my VSS username being the same as my domain account name), SOS works fine and I am able to login using my domain account and the VSS password I set up for it. However, if I run the VSS service under any other account (I tried both a non-admin account as well as a domain admin account, one that does NOT have a matching VSS user id), upon trying to login to SOS using my own username and VSS password, I get this error 'The Server was unable to connect to the Sourcesafe database. Check your server's log file for additional information.' When I look at the SOS server log file I see this:

9/25/2009 11:33:47 AM - 2: Exception during Login: The SourceSafe database path \\<servername>\vss_db\data does not exist. Please select another database.
9/25/2009 11:33:47 AM - 2: The SourceSafe database path \\<servername>\vss_db\data does not exist. Please select another database.

I have substituted the actual servername with the placeholder <servername> in the error messages. This is the name of the server hosting VSS server, database and SOS server.

I tried running SOS in application mode instead of as a service, since this is clearly a permissions issue (everything works fine if the service is running under my account). But I encountered the same problem: if I run the application with my login, SOS works fine. But when I tried to run it as a Scheduled Task under a different account (one that does not have a VSS login), then I got the error messages shown above. What exactly do I need to do?

Beth

Re: Permissions for SOS service account

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:52 pm

I think this particular login method has had some problems in the past. I'm not entirely sure we support it. I need to do some research and will post back.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mohican21

Post by mohican21 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:20 pm

I notice that I did not provide any version details. The VSS/SOS/VSS DB server is running Windows 2000. The VSS version is 6.0c and the SOS version is 4.2.

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:21 pm

What are the permissions of the directory of the srcsafe.ini file as well as the sub folders?

Try temporarily giving EVERYONE FULL access (along all sub folders too, if necessary) to see narrow down if folder access is the issue.
Beth Kieler

mohican21

Post by mohican21 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:59 pm

I checked that, but saw that Everyone already had that level of access. But then I thought to look at the permissions of the share itself. Even though SOS is running on the same server as VSS and the VSS db, since the srcsafe.ini file points to the VSS db as a network share, that's the way SOS is trying to access it. Access to the share itself was restricted to the developers group. Once I added the SOS service account to have access to the share, it worked fine.
Thanks for setting me on the right path!

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear you were able to find the solution.
Beth Kieler