VS2008 crashes after sleep/hibernate with SOS5 plugin

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

andrewstanton

VS2008 crashes after sleep/hibernate with SOS5 plugin

Post by andrewstanton » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 am

Hi,

I'm using the SourceOffSite 5.0.1 source control plugin for Visual Studio 2008 Pro running on Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

If I have a solution/project/file open in Visual Studio which is bound to source control using the SOS 5 plugin, and then my computer (Sony VAIO laptop) either sleeps or hibernates, when it resumes from sleep/hibernation Visual Studio stops responding and crashes, requiring me to restart Visual Studio and reconnect to the SOS 5 server.

The same thing happened with the SourceOffSite 5.0.0 plugin. If Visual Studio is not using the SOS plugin it resumes from sleep/hibernation without a problem. The SourceOffSite 4.2 plugin used to pop up an error dialog in Visual Studio when resuming from sleep/hibernation saying it could connect to source control (so I had to close and reopen Visual Studio), but it didn't make Visual Studio crash like the SOS 5 plugin does.

Let me know if you require any specific information / screenshots / etc.

Thanks,
Andy.

Beth

Re: VS2008 crashes after sleep/hibernate with SOS5 plugin

Post by Beth » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:19 am

Can you look in your SOS Server log? That's found in the same directory the SOS server is installed to and is called log.txt. Are there any errors logged there after your machine hibernates?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Andy,

First thing's first...

Look at the following string value in your registry (note this is for a 32-bit machine), HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider. What is the value for ProviderRegKey? Next look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders. Do you see a value for "SourceOffSite 5 Client" here?

If you are using VS 2005/2008/2010, then it should *not* be too much of a problem, but let's make a change here just in case our testing was wrong. In your SourceOffSite CLIENT install directory, you should see a sub-directory named sccp. Start a command-line prompt with Administrative privileges. Next change the directory to the "sccp" directory. Finally run "wscript inst_sccp_32.vbs". This should run, and if you refresh your registry, you should see values in the registry hive from the values in the previous paragraph. (Note, on uninstall, you will need to run "wscript uninst_sccp_32.vbs" to reset/remove these values

Next, look at the hive key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceGear\SourceOffSite. There will be a directory path for SCCServerPath. Check out the properties of the SosScc.dll file in that location. What is the version you are using? It should read 5.0.1.242.

Finally, check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\CurrentSourceControlProvider. It has a ProviderRegKey string value as well. Is it set to "Software\SourceGear\SourceOffSite"?

Getting back to the problem:

I tried this on a laptop, Tablet PC, and a Virtual Machine all running either Windows XP, Vista Business, or Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2008. I tried the IDE client with varying combinations of "Send Keep-Alive signal" along with "Automatically Refresh File List" enabled / disabled. I then either put the laptop / VM in hibernation or to sleep. I waited three or four minutes (especially in the case of hibernation), and then restarted the machines.

Once the different machines had restarted, I waited, and encountered no crash within Visual Studio 2008. After a couple of minutes, I then placed focus on Visual Studio. No problems. Finally, I invoked History or checked out a file or un-checked out a file, and the IDE client prompted me to connect to the SOS server. I then logged in, and was using Visual Studio w/ out any problems.

Note, in all instances, my SOS server was at sos.sourceoffsite.com. Can you try a test against one of the projects there?

For example, start VS 2008, go to File -> Source Control -> Open from Source Control. At the login use "sos.sourceoffsite.com" with port 8080. Login you can use "donald" as the user and "duck" as the password and DemoDB for the VSS database. I have a solution at $/jeffc-test/VisualBasicApplicaiton1/VisualBasicApplication1/. Browse to there and SET a working folder for the solution. The project should now be downloaded to disk. Once everything is available within Visual Studio 2008, put the laptop to sleep. Once asleep, resume your Windows session, and invoke history on Form1.vb. Do you get the crash?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

andrewstanton

Post by andrewstanton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:14 am

Hi,

I'm afraid I've not had timeto investigate this yet, but it now seems to me the problem is not hibernation but loss of connection to the server, as per the recent post: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 10&t=12888

I just had VS2008 open with a project connected to source control using the SOS 5.0.1 IDE plugin, and my internet connection went down. About 30 seconds later Visual Studio crashed in the same manner as I experience when it crashes upon wake-from-hibernation in Windows. So I now believe it's the unexpected disconnection from the server that causes the crash, and the other post I've referenced above seems to confirm that theory.

Andy.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 am

Andy,

I've tested 5.0.1 by shutting down the server, disabling the network services, and pulling the network cable. In each case, the IDE client handles the disconnect properly.

Do you know "how" your connection is failing? One thing I did not try is to assign a different IP address to the server from the DHCP pool during a connection.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

andrewstanton

Post by andrewstanton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Jeff,

It's very likely (although I don't know for sure) that I've acquired a new IP address in both the scenarios I've described, because I'm behind a NAT router and get my IP dynamically using DHCP.

1. When waking up from sleep/hibernate my laptop will request an IP from the router (i.e. will join the network) using DHCP so it's likely my local IP address has changed since going into sleep/hibernation.

2. When I lost my internet connection, what actually happened is I lost my /wireless network/ connection due to a power cut, so the router lost power and then restarted (note that my laptop kept running because it was on battery power), so my laptop once again requested a new IP from the router (i.e. rejoined the network) using DHCP, and again it's likey my local IP address was different from the one my laptop had prior to the router's power loss and restart.

Note that the IP address of the SOS Server is static and does not change.

Thanks,
Andy.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:30 am

Andy,

I'm bringing in some Q/A people to help recreate the scenario. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the info.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 am

Andy,

There is a post by guillaume that he tied things down to keep-alives. Do you have those enabled for the IDE client?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

andrewstanton

Post by andrewstanton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:43 am

Yes, Keep-alive signals are enabled in my IDE client every 1 minute.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 am

If you temporarily disable that option, does the crash stop?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 am

Andrew,

There were some changes made in the IDE client for SOS 5.0.2 which might address this problem. Look for the maintenance release to be out today (March 31, 2010).

Thanks again for the report.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ashlegha

Post by ashlegha » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 pm

How to make sure my computer wont hibernate? At night i need my computer to always stay on. And for some reason it always go on sleep or hibernate(im not sure which one it is) How do i make it always stay on?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:39 am

Your computer documentation should have that information, or run a Google search on what computer or operating system you have with your question about hibernating. Here's one possible answer: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 150AAIcqB1.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support