Type filter not working as expected

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hamish

Type filter not working as expected

Post by hamish » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:23 am

One of the features that got my attention when I was thinking about upgrading from SOS 4 to 5 was the file type filtering. I quite often have projects that contain spurious files which I don't want to be part of source control. Unfortunately the feature doesn't work as I had hoped and I doubt it's by design.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
  • Select file type
  • Check box next to folder
  • Observe that files outside the filter are hidden from the file list panel on the right
  • Press 'add to list'
  • Observe the correct filter in the folder's row in the pending files list
  • Press OK
  • Observe allfiles in the folder being added to SourceSafe project
I've also tried skipping the 'add to list' step, but it doesn't make any difference to filtering behaviour.

If this isn't a bug, I can't really see the point in this feature.

Beth

Re: Type filter not working as expected

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 am

Did you restart the SOS server service and restart your SOS client after the change?

Did you by any chance enter a '.' in the extension you listed? For example, if I wanted to exclude text files, I would need to enter 'txt' not '.txt'.

I should clarify that I was using the Exclude file types in the server manager.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

hamish

Post by hamish » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:56 am

The functionality I'm talking about is all on the client side (I don't know if the settings are stored on the server). I see there is a option to exclude file types on the server configuration but this is not related to my original post. I added the file types group using options -> file types -> add. I used the same format as all the preset groups. I'm sure it's parsing this correctly because I can see the right files being filtered out at step three of my original procedure.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:23 pm

I see what part you mean now. That option is meant to narrow down what one sees to make it easier to select certain file types. That doesn't prevent files from being added to SOS when you select a folder. You would need to use the exclude option I mentioned above for that.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support