SOS Service won't start

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

five0.4tluv

SOS Service won't start

Post by five0.4tluv » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm

New install trying to move service to new hardware and OS version NT4 to XP sp3 and virtual server.

getting this in Event log

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Error starting the 'SOS 4' server. Please check the server log for more details.
at ClassicService.ClassicService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

SOSServer 4.1.2 with .net 1.1 sp1. VSS 6.0d installed

lbauer

Re: SOS Service won't start

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Is the VSS client installed on the SOS server machine?

Are the VSS databases on the same machine as the SourceOffSite server or on a different machine?

Are there any any errors in the log.txt file in the SOS server directory?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

five0.4tluv

Post by five0.4tluv » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 am

I could not get it to work using a domain account on the service, so I used a local admin (admin equiv) that had the same credentials as the domain account that has access to the VSS. VSS database is on the DC of the domain.

Strangely there was no SOS log to help me. Just the Events

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for the update. It's possible the log wasn't create since the service didn't start at all.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

five0.4tluv

Post by five0.4tluv » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Now that I've got users connecting to the new server, what is the best way to remove the old connection information from the Linux|Windows clients? In Linux, can I just delete the ~/.sos/servers/oldserverinfo directory?

Thanks.

five0.4tluv

Post by five0.4tluv » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 pm

OK. I need some assistance with the proper way for users to move over to this new host. I created the new host 'soshost' on a VM server. Everything works great, however it appears that having 2 sos servers connected to the same VSS database is not a good idea. All client activities got extremely slow using either SOS server, so maybe I missed that 2 servers at the same time is not recommended.

my original host was named exch, the new host shall be soshost. the users have not removed the exch connections from their clients so how can I get them to use the new host and keep all project information the same for them. ie. working dirs, history etc, I really don't want to reuse the old host name of 'exch' for obvious reasons.

Thanks again to all.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:08 pm

can I just delete the ~/.sos/servers/oldserverinfo directory?
When clients connect to the new SOS server, they will create a new client-side cache in the ~/.sos/servers directory on Linux and in the Windows clients in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers.

If users are using Visual Studio, they will need to unbind their projects from the old server, and rebind them to the old server location.

First, open your solution. It may try to connect the old server. Cancel out of that. Use the menu item "Change Source Control" in Visual Studio under File->Source Control. This will give you an unbind dialog where you can remove the bindings. After you unbind, "save all" to save your unbound solution and project files.

Close Visual Studio and reopen it. The project should now be unbound.

Use the File->Source Control->Change Source Control in Visual Studio again to get the bindings dialog can bind the project to the new location. After the project is rebound, check the solutions and project files back into the repository.

Other users can get the properly bound project from the database by doing an Open from source control to a new working directory, each can do their own unbind/rebind.

Let me know if this isn't what you were refering to, and provide details on what is happening.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

five0.4tluv

Post by five0.4tluv » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:41 pm

I have a 25 user license and 1 database with several projects in it. Some users use VS to access the database. Some users prefer to use SOS, so I'm maintaining both. The VS users don't need to do anything because they have VS installed locally and connect to the database directly via Samba. The SOS users use either a Linux client or the Windows Client or maybe both.

What I told them they might have to do is:

check-in all changes from the old SOS client connection to server 'exch'
connect to new SOS server 'soshost'

When they do this their working directories are gone from all project trees, I'm trying to keep this from happening. maybe the unbind option is what I need them to do. I've created a test database to play with.

What about 2 different SOS servers accessing the same database? I read a KB that seemed to indicate a 1 to 1 ratio of DB to Server.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am

The SourceOffSite client keeps a cache folder for each server that it connects to. Within the folder are cache files for each database that SOS server communicates with. The cache file has a copy of the project tree structure as well as information about working folders. The cached tree structure is what make SOS perform faster than VSS over the Internet.

These files are located in the Application Data on the client machine, for instance on XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers\<sosservername>

Within each of the <sosservername> directories, you'll see a database1.sos, database2.sos, etc., depending on how many databases that SOS server connects to.

When the your clients connected to a different server name, a new cache folder was created.
If you don't want to re-create all the working folders, you could have users try backing up the "exch" folder and renaming the that directory from "exch" to "soshost."

Regarding your other question:
It is possible for two SOS servers to serve the same VSS databases, but we generally only recommend this for load-balancing when you have a great many VSS databases and performance is not acceptable. Also, according to our license agreement, you may use your license in only one SOS server.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear