Moving 4.1.2 Server to new hardware

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

five0.4tluv

Moving 4.1.2 Server to new hardware

Post by five0.4tluv » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 am

I previously asked this question about 1 year ago. But I'm still not clear on the procedure.

Current SOS Server - v4.1.2, Win XP, PIII, name exch (was old exchange server no longer serving other services)
Current VSS data - Samba server, PDC, name dc1

New SOS Server - v.4.1.2, VM Win XP, name soshost

The plan is to make this as transparent as possible. The new SOS server can connect and serve connections just fine as soshost, but I think with the new name the users loose all version history. So I hope to either change the name to "exch" or make alias the "exch" IP on the new host and update the hosts file to reflect that it is indeed both server names. What "name" does the SOS services use during client connections? I would assume what is in there preferences files. So hopefully that will work transparently.

Can anyone guide me?

Eventually the Samba server will be upgraded also to just a non domain controller box with a newer version of Samba. Same hostname and VSS data path.

five0.4tluv

Re: Moving 4.1.2 Server to new hardware

Post by five0.4tluv » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:06 am

corrections

old server, NT5.0, SOS v4.0.2

new server, SOS v.4.2

five0.4tluv

Post by five0.4tluv » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Ok. I just had a user do a test. I've got the new server up and running and using 2 IP addresses. It is connected to the currently used VSS database. That database is also currently actively used by the old SOS server.

On the Linux client I have added a line in the /etc/hosts to redirect traffic to the old SOS name to the secondary IP of the new SOS server. The new SOS server has an entry in it's hosts file to show it is also that "old" name.

Results
The user starts SOS client (4.2).
His existing settings appear to get read in (user/pass).
The project tree loads. However, there are 2 trees missing.
Next he opens a tree, and it never opens and appears to be hung

Am I missing something? The hanging may be the masking of the hostname and I may have to use the real old name for the server.

But not listing all projects is concerning..

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:08 pm

On your first post, moving the SOS server to a new server won't cause a loss of version history. After you install the SOS Server onto the new machine, you need to add the VSS database to the SOS Server Manager.

Is it going to the right port? Besides just going to the server, it has to go to the specific port needed.

If a user tries to connect with the new server name and port or the new server IP address and port, does SOS connect?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support