SourceOffSite & VS - The connection to the server is closed

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

GrandPixel

SourceOffSite & VS - The connection to the server is closed

Post by GrandPixel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:31 am

I am using SOS Client 4.2 and VS2005 and VS2008. I can connect, log in, and navigate a SourceSafe repository just fine using the SOS client. But when I try to get from source control using VS2005, VS hangs/crashes. With VS2008, I keep receiving this error: "SourceOffSite: The connection to the server is closed". I click OK and I get "SourceOffSite: Do you want to reconnect to the server?" If I click Yes, the same thing keeps coming up. If I click No, some other dialogs come up and eventually the solution opens but without getting the files.

Other computers on the network do not have this problem. OS is 32-Bit XP Pro. Any ideas?

Beth

Re: SourceOffSite & VS - The connection to the server is closed

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:15 pm

What happens if you try performing a fresh Open from Source Control? Try this with the following steps:
1) Open VS, but not a project.
2) Go to Tools - Options - Source Control - Open from Source Control.
3) Log into SourceOffSite. If it refuses to let you log in or to choose a VSS database here, let me know.
4) Select the folder that holds the .sln file and a location to place the entire project. Click OK.
5) Once you have opened the solution, are you able to check out an item, edit it, and check it in?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

GrandPixel

Post by GrandPixel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:26 pm

That is what I am doing to get the error described above. It lets me log into source control and navigate to the folder where the solution is, and it asks to create a new folder, but then the closed connection problem.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Do you have your computer's firewall turned on? If so, try it once with the firewall turned off.

Could you set your SOS server log to debug mode? To do that, find the file SosService.exe.config. Typically it will be in the same location where the SourceOffSite server application was installed. There will be an entry to set debug logging to True instead of false. The priority value should be changed to either Debug or All instead of Error.

Try the scenario again and either post the log here (you will be able to remove it later) or you can send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread and the log attached.
Beth Kieler

GrandPixel

Post by GrandPixel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks Beth, but I think I got it. (I will keep that debug mode in mind :). I was using the WAN IP and port number to connect instead of the computer's LAN IP and port. The WAN is supposed to work when we connect from off-site but for some reason it is not. But I typically connect from inside the network.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to hear you are working again.
Beth Kieler