Logging into a VSS and authentication

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hiroysungard

Logging into a VSS and authentication

Post by hiroysungard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:45 am

Hi,

We are currently testing SOS 5.x.x and we have run into an issue with security and the authentication login process.
Our VSS databases are setup so that it uses "Use network name for automatic user log in"

The problem is that for security and the authentication process we also still add a password to the user name in the VSS database so that if the user is not logged in no one else can login using that person's login. Without the VSS database password anyone can use that person account to login regardless if the "Use network name for automatic user log in" is being used or not.

So for SOS 5.x.x when we have the "Use network name for automatic user log in" plus the additional VSS database password the login fails but as soon as its removed it works OK.
The error msg is "Invalid password - login failed."

NOTE: Generally no one really ever uses the VSS database password associated with their VSS accounts - its all using an authentication login with "Use network name for automatic user log in".

Please let me know if SOS can work with both or if there is a way to by pass the VSS database user password and use the "Use network name for automatic user log in".

We need to keep both security authenticatiions in place.

Thank you,
Hero

lbauer

Re: Logging into a VSS and authentication

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:10 pm

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you are experiencing. I have "User network name for automatic user login" checked in the database options, plus my users have passwords configured in VSS. When I launch VSS, I am automatically logged in with no password required, but when I log into SOS, I am prompted for a password and my VSS password works.

It may be a configuration issue.

What version of VSS are you using on the SOS server machine?

What account is running the SOS Server service?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

hiroysungard

Post by hiroysungard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi,

Sorry I think my question is from my second post which can be deleted if necessary.

But "SOS does not support NT authentication - Does this still hold true for the latest versions of SOS 5.x.x?"

There is no integration for NT authentication which means the logon from the SOS client must use VSS authentication correct?

Thank you...
lbauer wrote:I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you are experiencing. I have "User network name for automatic user login" checked in the database options, plus my users have passwords configured in VSS. When I launch VSS, I am automatically logged in with no password required, but when I log into SOS, I am prompted for a password and my VSS password works.

It may be a configuration issue.

What version of VSS are you using on the SOS server machine?

What account is running the SOS Server service?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Yes, SOS users must use VSS logins and passwords.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager