Operation Failed

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

halmaden

Operation Failed

Post by halmaden » Mon May 09, 2011 3:52 am

Hi Guys,

Need some help. I get operation failed messages when trying to open/view files from a project folder with a name starting with a (./dot). For example the folders name is .ModelInterface. I tried renaming the folder & remove the . (dot). I am able to view/open files now but the project owners demands that they need the folder named back to its original name (.ModelInterface). Does anyone knows how to fix this problem? We are using SOS 4.2 server.

Thanks ahead,
Homer

lbauer

Re: Operation Failed

Post by lbauer » Mon May 09, 2011 7:50 am

Is this a new problem? Was this working before, either in SOS 4.2 or in VSS?

Are you using the SOS 4.2 client on Mac or Unix?

The .filename or .foldername is not valid syntax on some operating systems or with some versions of VSS.

Which version of the VSS Automation Component is the SOS Server using?

To determine the SourceSafe Automation Component (ssapi.dll) version used by SOS Server, look under this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32

The value will have the path to the specific ssapi.dll file used by SOS Server. For the version information, locate the ssapi.dll file. Right click on the ssapi.dll file, choose Properties->Version.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

halmaden

Post by halmaden » Thu May 12, 2011 2:04 am

Hi lbauer,

Thanks for your mail. I dont think its a new problem but we just found out about it when we had a folder starting with a .(dot) on its name. There is no problem when opening this folder in VSS but in SOS we get an operation failed error. By the way here's the version of the ssapi.dll file.

Thanks,
Homer

halmaden

Post by halmaden » Thu May 12, 2011 2:07 am

also we are using windows xp sp3 for our client machines & windows server 2003 for our server...

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 12, 2011 4:05 pm

When I tried using VSS 6.0.31222 and projects with a "." at the beginning of the name, some operations worked in VSS and some didn't. For instance when I tried to add a file to a folder named .Folder, I got the error "invalid SourceSafe syntax."

So there were some inconsistencies in earlier versions of SourceSafe about invalid syntax. Since SOS uses the VSS automation component to communicate with the VSS database, any bugs in VSS would affect SOS too.

I found that this issue was fixed in VSS 2005.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm? ... 400&page=4

I would suggest that you upgrade to VSS 2005, particulary the "update" version, as that version works well wiht SOS 5.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager