Unable to Connect or Login: V4.2

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

drhdrhdrhdrh

Unable to Connect or Login: V4.2

Post by drhdrhdrhdrh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:28 am

I have been using SOS 4.2 for months with no problems. A few days ago, I was unable to connect to the server from my desktop. What happens is that upon client app start, the connect to server pane pops up with the usual Server and Port selected. I click connect, expecting the Login popup to appear but it does not appear. Then of course everything is disabled, no menu items except exit, the status says Connecting to <servername> forever and nothing happens.

Restart, Cold boot, restart the server services, even reboot the server, nothing makes any difference.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the 4.2 client twice with manual attempts to clean the registry in between. Exactly the same behavior. The desktop simply will not paint the login popup.

If I go to my clunky old laptop and use that to connect, everything works just fine.

The other dozen or so users of the SOS server report that everything is working just fine for them too.

Perhaps the login popup is painting somewhere offscreen, but I have tried ALT-Tab to see if there's another window somewhere. I used a bigger monitor just on the offchance that the popup was lurking just offscreen, but no luck there either.

Does the login popup rely upon a specific windows service that may have stopped?

Any ideas?

Regards

Dave

lbauer

Re: Unable to Connect or Login: V4.2

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Here are a couple of things to try:

Close your client, and find this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceOffSite\SourceOffSite\Settings (assuming a 32-bit machine)

Rename the Settings node, then reopen the client.

Also, you can delete the SOS client-side cache at:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers\<servername>

Delete the databaseX.sos files and index.sos file. When you connect again, the client will build a new cache.

Let me know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

drhdrhdrhdrh

Post by drhdrhdrhdrh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, neither of them made any difference, the authentication panel never pops up.
Any other ideas?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:13 am

I'd suggest we schedule a remote assist session where I can take a closer look. Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager