SOS hangs waiting for SSMS (5.0.3)

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

BrianDrab

SOS hangs waiting for SSMS (5.0.3)

Post by BrianDrab » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Our developer is having an issue where he opens up SOS and it just says "Not Responding" in the title bar. If I open up Resource Monitor and right-click on the SOS process and select "Analyze Wait Chain..." it shows that it's waiting on SQL Server Management Studio. While the SOS process was in this Not Responding state I right-clicked on this process within Task manager and selected Create Dump File. The dump file of the SOS process is here. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6063925/sos.DMP

Do you have any ideas on what we can do to resolve this issue? It doesn't happen all the time. It's intermittent. Thank you.
Brian C Drab

lbauer

Re: SOS hangs waiting for SSMS (5.0.3)

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm not sure why the SOS Client would be waiting for SSMS. SOS doesn't use SQL Server.

Unless . . . are you using SOS as a source control provider for SSMS? Is SSMS configured as a default editor?

This setting would be in SOS Client Options->Default External Programs.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 pm

SOS is selected as the Souce Control Provider within SSMS. I'm checking to see if SSMS is configured as a default editor.

OK, checked the default editor. It's not set to SSMS. Following is the screen shot of this.
Options.png
Options
Options.png (50.5 KiB) Viewed 41775 times
Brian C Drab

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for the screenshot. Not sure how SSMS might be involved in this, then.
Our developer is having an issue where he opens up SOS and it just says "Not Responding" in the title bar.
How is he opening SOS? Is he clicking on the client to open it?

Is the client using a lot of CPU or RAM on that machine when it hangs?

Is there an sosgui-log.txt file in the user's local temp directory? Any useful info there?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 am

He is opening SOS through SSMS.

No, the client is not using a lot of CPU or RAM on the machine when it hangs.

The sosgui-log.txt file from the user's machine is attached. Let me know if there is anything helpful in there. You would know better than I. Thanks.
soside-log.zip
Log file
(388.94 KiB) Downloaded 3030 times
Brian C Drab

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 am

No specific errors in the log. There are some time gaps, but since I'm not sure what was happening on the client side, I can't say whether this was user pausing or the app hanging.

I tried opening a SSMS project with 200 files, and couldn't reproduce a hang.
He is opening SOS through SSMS.
Could you provide specific steps that the user is using to open a project? Is the user clicking the solution file on disk which then launches SSMS? Or is he clicking on the file in the SOS Client file list?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm

In SSMS:

1. File
2. Source Control
3. Open from Source Control
4. From the dialog box I navigate to the Solution, select it and click OK.
Brian C Drab

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm

I found that opening a solution with 180 files took about 45 seconds when opening from Source Control, compared to just 3 -4 seconds when opening the project from disk.

I didn't experience a hang, though.

How many files are in the SQL project of your user? Does the client hang because it's crashed, or does the project eventually open if you wait a few minutes?

If this is intermittent, could it be that the normal delays are made worse when system resources are tied up with other applications?

Although SOS works with SSMS, it's not an officially supported IDE. We haven't tested it with SourceOffSite, so we are not sure whether the crash is an incompatibility or something specific about the project or SOS Client machine.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:18 am

lbauer wrote:I found that opening a solution with 180 files took about 45 seconds when opening from Source Control, compared to just 3 -4 seconds when opening the project from disk.

I didn't experience a hang, though.

How many files are in the SQL project of your user? [Developer] ~150, although I’ve reproduced this with smaller projects. Does the client hang because it's crashed, or does the project eventually open if you wait a few minutes? [Developer] It never opens.

If this is intermittent, could it be that the normal delays are made worse when system resources are tied up with other applications? [Developer] It’s not intermittent. I can easily reproduce it.
Although SOS works with SSMS, it's not an officially supported IDE. We haven't tested it with SourceOffSite, so we are not sure whether the crash is an incompatibility or something specific about the project or SOS Client machine.
Brian C Drab

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Do you have any ideas on what we can do to resolve this issue? It doesn't happen all the time. It's intermittent.
If it's not intermittent, then I'd suggest we schedule a remote assist session where I can take a closer look. Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda and we'll set something up. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Linda -

My developer says that you were able to resolve his issue but wasn't certain exactly what was done to resolve it. Can you provide me the steps so myself and others can benefit from this? Thank you.
Brian C Drab

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:00 pm

It wasn't simple. In a remote session I looked at the SQL Server solution file (.ssmssln) and project file (.ssmssqlproj) and found that the project was bound to Visual SourceSafe.

SourceOffSite source control uses Microsoft's MSSCCI integration, which creates a separate source control file called MSSCCPRJ.SCC., which contains binding information. This works fine with most Visual Studio projects, except web projects.

Unlike Visual Studio, SSMS writes the binding directly into the solution and project files. That means if the solution and project files are checked into source control, an SOS user could GET latest and end up with a project bound to VSS, or vice-versa.

The workaround would be for your SOS (or VSS) users to keep their own renegade copy of the solution file and project file and not check it into SourceSafe.

For background on this issue, see this KB article:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149

Note that SSMS integration falls into the same category as Web Project, at the very end of the article -- binding is written into solution and project files.

If a user is having problems unbinding and binding, I can help with a remote session. However if you have both VSS and SOS users working on the same SSMS project, then the overall setup would need to be addressed. Note that SOS does not officially support integration with SSMS.

Our Vault product does support SSMS integration, but then all Vault users are using the same source control provider.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear