False Renegade status

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

asorenson

False Renegade status

Post by asorenson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:08 am

SourceOffsite 3.5.3
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

SOS will display some files as 'Renegade' even though it lists the local and remote timestamps as identical and 'Show Differences' says 'The input files are identical(ignoring whitespace)'.
If I do a 'Get Latest Version' for those files that status goes away, but only temporarily, eventually it will revert to 'Renegade'.
I tried changing 'Use checksums to determine "unknown" file status' to no avail.
I did see a posting that this may occur for DST on FAT32 systems and that there was an exe for that. But that is not my setup.
It is really a bother, having to verify dozens of files are not really renegade or repeatedly doing massive gets.
Is there a fix?
Thanks,
Allan

Beth

Re: False Renegade status

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 am

SourceOffSite 3.5.3 is not supported on Windows 7.

Did this happen back when you had it on Windows XP as well?

Do you have an anti-virus scanning your working folders? You might exclude your SOS working folders from scans.

Do you have anything at all that touches those folders?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

asorenson

Post by asorenson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 am

I do not believe it happened on XP.
I would guess that Microsoft Security Essentials scans the files and Stomp Backup MyPC would backup them every other day or so.
The thing is only a few of the source files are affected Some whole project folders act fine, other project folders half of the files are fine.
One thing of note in the mixed status folders, which made pay special attention to the DST issue with FAT32, is that the renegades all have dates 12/21/YYYY to 3/8/YYYY. Those with blank status have dates 3/18/YYYY to 10/10/YYYY, with one exception one file dated 2/14/2011 has a blank status.
I work for a consulting firm and SOS was provided by our customer. I do not recall what version of VSS they are running, so I do not know if upgrade is possible.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:34 am

Is there any common file extension that is affected? Are the files text files or binary files?

Do you perform any work at all in the area where the files are going renegade?

Do the same files keep going renegade?
Beth Kieler

asorenson

Post by asorenson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 am

No commonality in file extension treatment. For example, in one project, some .frm and .frx files are renegade, some are not. Generally, it appears that the .frm/.frx pairs have the same status.
Yes, it is an activate project with check-in dates varying from 12/21/2006 to 7/11/2012. The renegades appear in all years.
While I have not verified it definitively, but my sense is that it is the same files that go renegade after gets.
One additional bit; I am in the Central time zone the server is in the Pacific.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm

When you perform a Get, do you have the files overwrite or merge?
Beth Kieler

asorenson

Post by asorenson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 pm

It does not ask if I want to merge. It says "frmBlah.frm may have been modified, lose changes?", I click [Yes to All].

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 pm

I think this one is going to be a case of an old version of SOS on an unsupported OS. If you have the option to upgrade to our latest version, I would recommend that. You can try out a demo against our demo server if you'd like first.

Do you have any other users on a different OS with the same issue?
Beth Kieler

asorenson

Post by asorenson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 am

Sorry, I missed your response.
I am a consultant and have no control over the server. As I understand it I have to use the 3.5 client.
I do not know about other SOS users.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 am

We wish we could help, but as Beth pointed out SOS 3.5.3 is not supported on Windows 7. In fact SourceGear no longer supports SourceOffSite 3.5.3.

We can respond to questions about how SOS 3.5.3 works, but are unable to do troubleshooting on specific SOS 3.5.3 technical support issues.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager