Response for no message sent!

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

TimothyJinx

Response for no message sent!

Post by TimothyJinx » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:28 am

I am using SOS Classic 4.0.2

I get this message when checking in source code: "Response for no message sent!"

Is there a limit to the amount of text you can enter in the comment box? Maybe 1042 bytes? If so, is there a way around this? I regularly type up some fairly detailed notes when I check in source code and 1042 bytes does not seem like much room.

Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:07 pm

Yes, the limit on SOS headers is 1024 bytes. We've never had a report of this problem, so I'd guess few users are as detailed in their comments.

However we will double this to 2048 bytes in SOS 4.1, due out later this year.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

programsunlimited

I have just gotten this same error message today

Post by programsunlimited » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:40 am

When I try to check in some code as I have been doing for years, the error box with 'Response to no message sent!' appears. The progress bar stops at 01% (once it got to 02%). I have turned off automatic refreshes and the keep alive flag with no difference.

I stopped and restarted the SOS server on the remote machine. I have a very short comment that I am posting for the check in.

The only way to terminate the SOS client is by using task manager (which indicates that it is "running" and not in a "not responding" state.

It appears that the client is in a very tight loop.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:59 pm

The error message "Response for no message sent" basically means the server doesn't understand what is being sent by the client.

* Are there any error messages reported in the SOS Server log file that correspond to the time you got the error message?

* Check the Temp directory in the SOS Server directory on the SOS Server machine. Does it contain files? If the temp directory is not empty, please delete all subfolders and then restart the SOS Server service.

* Is there free disk space on the server machine?

The last time a user reported this type of error message it turned out to be the result of low disk space on the server machine, but that may or may not be the case here.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

eversa

Re: Response for no message sent!

Post by eversa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:02 am

I am getting "Respose for no message sent!" dialog boxes with SOS version 4.2. They appear continuously and repeatably if the check-in comment is larger than some amount (presumably 2048). This is a bug. Can you please fix the client so that it checks the amount of text before sending the data to the server (duh)? Alternatively, prevent me from entering too many characters in the dialog box to begin with?

Secondly, please increase this limit by an order of magnitude or more.

lbauer

Re: Response for no message sent!

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

I was able to reproduce this. The limit does seem to be 2048 characters.

This will be fixed in SOS 5.0, currently under development. The character limit will be 4096, which is the max allowed by VSS.

Thanks for the report.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear