SOS 5 licensing

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hiroysungard

SOS 5 licensing

Post by hiroysungard » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:42 am

Hello,

We're currently using SOS 5 and have approximately 18 to 21 seat licenses - however the team group I support is only using part of these.

My question is can we have another group use some or part of the seat licenses currently not in use as the group will most likely not grow again?

Also, the seat licenses seems to be in files and not one large file.

Thank you
Hero

Beth

Re: SOS 5 licensing

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am

You can have different people take up those licenses. In the SOS Server Manager, there is a tab for users. You don't actually need to add users there. You could remove any or all of them, and then the next person that logs in gets a license, and so on.

SOS takes the users login and sends it to VSS to check for a login and the security rights. If it passes, the user is just added to the SOS list and gets a license.

Your other users will need VSS logins.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

hiroysungard

Post by hiroysungard » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks Beth - but this doesn't answer my question but it may not have been clear either - sorry about that.

To clarify the question the groups are under the same company/corporation however they work off of different VSS servers for different development projects/products so can we transfer one of the seat license files to that group so they can use SOS as well on their VSS server?

Thank you
Beth wrote:You can have different people take up those licenses. In the SOS Server Manager, there is a tab for users. You don't actually need to add users there. You could remove any or all of them, and then the next person that logs in gets a license, and so on.

SOS takes the users login and sends it to VSS to check for a login and the security rights. If it passes, the user is just added to the SOS list and gets a license.

Your other users will need VSS logins.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:36 am

You have a couple options.

You could add the other users' VSS database to your current SOS installation (one SOS server can connect to many VSS databases), and then perform the same actions I mentioned before so those users can access their data through that SOS server.

The other option is to run two SOS servers, and we can split up your keys for you. If you want to do this option, then email sales using sales at sourcegear.com and they'll split them up.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support