Project Adding/Removing Problems

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Richard Rees

Project Adding/Removing Problems

Post by Richard Rees » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:39 am

Hello,

We have a project ongoing with 2 developers working in the same office as the sourcesafe server (and therefore using MS SourceSafe 6.0d) and 3 developers working remotely (using Source off Site).
We have no end of problems when someone needs to add or remove a project. If a develeoper using MS sourcesafe adds a new project, the moment the source off site developers get latest version they get all sorts of errors and end up having to trash their local version, clear down their VSWebCache and start again.
Another problem is If a developer using source off site tries to remove a project a litle black dos box appears (Minidump?) and VS.NET crashes with a Fatal Error

Anyone else had these problems? Its getting to the stage where we are considering going back to sourec safe for everything as its taking longer to sort out these issues every few days than it would be to wait for sourcesafe to get latest over the internet!!!

Thanks

Richard Rees
Amaze Ltd.

Richard Rees

Post by Richard Rees » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:42 am

When I say "add or remove a project" I mean add a project to a solution or remove a project from a solution

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:56 pm

First of all, if you are using VSS 6.0d, make sure to make the registry change outlined in this KB article to avoid concurrency issues:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=10

Next, what kinds of projects do you have? Web projects?

What version of VS.NET are you using?

Can you provide more information about ther error messages you are getting? It would be helpful if you could give us specific steps that reproduce the problem.

Thanks.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Kevin Menningen

Specific Create Project Problem

Post by Kevin Menningen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:33 am

Hi Linda,

I just tried to create a project using SourceOffsite 3.5.3 with Visual SourceSafe 6.0c on the back end. Although your status window can't be copied to the clipboard (oversight, I'd say) I typed it up and included it below.

I first created a file folder on disk called "Release Notes" at this path: C:\Source\NicVier\Documentation. My working directory for $/NicVier is C:\Source\NicVier. I then proceeded to write my file, call it "MyFile.htm". It properly resided at C:\Source\NicVier\Documentation\Release Notes\MyFile.htm.

Then I attempted to add it to SourceOffsite. There was no project named "Release Notes" so I clicked on the Documentation project and clicked the button for Create Project. It asked me to type in the name, so I typed in "Release Notes". This is step 3 below. Then I clicked on the newly created project. This is step 4 and 5 below.

I then clicked the "Add Files" button, and it properly displayed "MyFile.htm" on the left hand side of the Add Files dialog. I clicked on that file and clicked Add. It went over to the right hand side. I clicked OK and it prompted me for some comments which I typed in and clicked OK.

That's when things went wrong. You can see in steps 6 through 10 below that SourceOffsite incorrectly added "Release Notes" twice and automatically created a new project that I didn't want. You can see in steps 13-15 that I went back to the root and refreshed, not believing that everything was accurate. Then in steps 16 & 17 I navigated to the correct "Release Notes" directory and added MyFile.htm with no problems at all. In step 18 I deleted the erroneous project.

Hopefully this accurately and completely describes the bug in 3.5.3.

Best regards,

--Kevin

-------------------------------------------------
Steps:
1. Updating file list: $/NicVier/Documentation
2. Received file list: $/NicVier/Documentation
3. Created project: $/NicVier/Documentation/Release Notes
4. Updating file list: $/NicVier/Documentation/Release Notes
5. Received file list: $/NicVier/Documentation/Release Notes
6. Adding file: $/NicVier/Documentation/Release Notes/Release Notes/Myfile.htm
7. Created project: $/NicVier/Documentation/Release Notes/Release Notes
8. Updating file list: $/NicVier/Documentation/Release Notes/Release Notes