SOS w/ VSS & Studio Integration, unwanted Solution chang

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

SOS w/ VSS & Studio Integration, unwanted Solution chang

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:28 pm

We are using: SOS 4.1

We are using Studio with SOS integration at a remote site, the main site uses standard VSS integration.

The two sites seem to be "fighting" each other with respect to the solution files. Solutions created with Studio&VSS have the following:

ccProjectName1 = \u0022$/Development_4.5/Components/MM/ABC.TT.MAN/DAL\u0022,\u0020MBMAAAAA

If the solution is modified with Studio and SOS integration the following will result:

ccProjectName1 = /Development_4.5/Components/MM/ABC.TT.MAN/DAL

This seems to then cause problems loading the solution back into Studio that is using VSS integration.

The \u0022 seems to be a unicode escape sequence for double quotes.

I'm not sure what the training part is used for.

Also, If I perform a clean recursive get of an entire project tree, after binding it to source control, Studio will want to check out the solution and project files. This is when some of these problems first start. There are also issues when adding new projects to existing solutions.

Am I missing something?

John Dyer

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Are you using an older version of VSS? There were problems with binding project to both VSS and SOS in earlier (prior to 6.0c) versions.

See this KB article for details.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149

Is your development process different than what's described in the KB article? If so, how do your developers go about opening projects?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:30 am

Things are working correctly for the project files. The only issue is currently with the solution files.

We have the 6.0d VSS client installed.

John

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:58 am

Any thoughts on the differences between the ccProjectName1 lines in the two versions?

corey

Post by corey » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:18 am

John,

From the look of the content in your solution file, I'm assuming the projects you are having problems with are web projects?

Visual Studio is supposed to store source control specific information outside of the solution file in files called MSSCCPRJ.SCC, but this is not true with web projects. Unfortunately, until Microsoft addresses this problem, teams trying to use both VSS and SOS will have the problem you are seeing.

The only workaround would be for your SOS (or VSS) users to keep their own renegade copy of the solution file and not check it into SourceSafe.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

A Source Control switcher

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:13 pm

I’ve been fighting the same issue. Some solutions need to use Source Safe and now we’re putting our latest solutions in Source Vault. I found a cool page that offers a few free programs to switch default providers. Yeah, it’s an extra step before loading a project but sometimes it takes a little extra work to have the best of both worlds.

Check it out:
http://blogs.msdn.com/korbyp/archive/20 ... 54043.aspx