SourceOffsite server problem.

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

SourceOffsite server problem.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:30 pm

Hi. I downloaded the SourceOffsite server 3.5.3 for VSS 5 and installed it on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP3. The VSS database is located on another machine (also Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3), shared through the network.

After finishing the installation, when I try to run the SourceOffsite Server service I always get the following error on the event viewer:

The SourceOffSite Server service terminated with service-specific error 2147549183 (event id 7024).

I have verified that the Sourcesafe explorer works on this machine and that the user account that the server service is executed has access to the VSS database.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:52 pm

SOS is not fully supported on Windows 2003 server. The details are in the KB article:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=48

SOS 4.0 will fix this problem; however SOS 4.0 will not support VSS 5.0. You can still have VSS 5.0 databases, but the VSS client on the SOS Server machine will need to be VSS 6.0
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

SourceOffsite server problem

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:58 am

I am running Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP3, not Windows 2003. And I don't think I can justify upgrading the VSS database to version 6 just so I can try the SOS software out.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:43 pm

Try downloading and installing the msjava.dll from the KB article. If it installs with no problem you should be able to try SOS 3.5.3, which does support VSS 5.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:52 am

I was able to install the msjava from the KB article link sucessfully. Still has the same problem starting the service from the service manager.

When I ran the executeable on the C:\Program Files\SourceOffsite\sossvr.exe from the command prompt I got the following message:

C:\Program Files\SourceOffsite>sossvr

Microsoft (R) Service Wrapper for Java (tm) Version 1.0.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1996-1997. All rights reserved.

Failed to start dispatcher: 0x427: The service process could not connect to the
service controller.

If started from a command prompt, the /cmd option must be provided.

Options:
/install Register service(s) with Windows NT.
/uninstall Unregister the service from Windows NT.
/cmd:<servicename> Run service <servicename> in command-line
mode. Useful for debugging purposes.
/username:<username> With /install, sets the account name to
run the service as.
/password:<password> With /username, sets the password of the
acount to run the service as.

Note: this tool works only on Windows NT.

Any other idea that we can try to make this work?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:57 pm

SOS runs as service, not as an application, so invoking the sossvr.exe from the command line won't work. A better command is NET START sossvrsvc.

It may be that SOS doesn't recognize that the JVM has been installed. I suggest you uninstall and re-install the SOS Server. Then see if you get the same error message. If you get a different error message, let me know what that is. There are a number of reasons the SOS Server fails to start. Usually it's because the SOS Server service doesn't have access to the VSS database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear