VS.NET 2003 Rebind shows wrong tree?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

PeteS

VS.NET 2003 Rebind shows wrong tree?

Post by PeteS » Fri May 06, 2005 12:24 pm

SOS 4.1
VSS 6.0d (Build 31222)
VS.NET 2003

We have multiple VSS databases and when I try to rebind a solution it shows the wrong database. I am not prompted as to which database to use?

If there is an existing post or some guidance I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pete

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 09, 2005 1:14 pm

Are you trying to unbind the project and add it to source control in a different database?

Or do you want to unbind the project and rebind it to a project already in source control, but in a different database?

What steps are you following currently to unbind and rebind?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

PeteS

Steps

Post by PeteS » Mon May 09, 2005 1:33 pm

I was following the steps found on the forum to rebind from VSS to SOS. We have multiple databases and when I tried to rebind it showed me the tree for the wrong database and I don't know how to change it so it points to the correct database that has my VS.NET 2003 projects.

I'll put together a step-by-step w/screenshots and post later.

PeteS

Screenshots

Post by PeteS » Tue May 17, 2005 12:24 pm

Attached are screenshots of what I get... any thoughts?
Attachments
SOSWrongDBTree.pdf
Screenshots when trying to rebind a VS.NET 2003 solution to SOS server that has multiple DBs.
(75.64 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times

PeteS

Happens in VB6 SP6 also?

Post by PeteS » Wed May 18, 2005 11:56 am

This same issue with the wrong db came up in a VB 6 project as well? Is there a way to force SOS to prompt you what VSS DB you want to connect to?

corey

Post by corey » Fri May 20, 2005 3:05 pm

Try this: first, exit Visual Studio. Then launch the SourceOffSite standalone GUI Client. From the file menu, choose Connect to Server. On the Connect to Server dialog, uncheck the option Connect automatically. Then proceed with the login. After logging in, exit the Client, and then restart Visual Studio.

Turning off auto-connect should allow you to choose your database when binding a solution, and once the solution is bound, the connection details will be remembered by Visual Studio.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

PeteS

No DB List

Post by PeteS » Mon May 23, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi Corey,

I did as you instructed and it kinda worked... I logged the client in as the dotNet DB I wanted, opened the VS Project and when I went to rebind it had the correct list. I closed down and opened a VB6 project that was pointing to a different DB and it gave me an error saying that the database didn't exist... when it gave me the list it was for the dotNET DB when it should have been the "NetTrax4" DB?

Thanks,
Pete

corey

Post by corey » Tue May 24, 2005 9:02 am

I guess I'm a bit confused. Did you turn off "automatically connect" and leave it off?

So it sounds like you were able to bind to the one project you were unable to get working before, but now it messed up the binding for one that was working previously? Is that correct?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

PeteS

Post by PeteS » Tue May 24, 2005 11:31 am

Q1: Yes, I turned it off and kept it off.

When I did the re-bind it never prompted me with a list, it still assumes (what seems like) the last client selection???

Q2: Yes

corey

Post by corey » Wed May 25, 2005 12:09 pm

I believe the database selection will default to the last one used, but you should still always have a drop down list of all available databases so you can select a different one when logging in.

The actual binding of each project should be stored by Visual Studio in a file named MSSCCPRJ.SCC in the project's source directory. You can view this file with a text editor. For the project which seemed to have lost its binding when you bound the other one, check its MSSCCPRJ.SCC file and see if the information inside is still correct.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC