SoS over X?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kfsone

SoS over X?

Post by kfsone » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:28 pm

Ouch - has anyone else tried using SoS over X? Each time you select a directory it redraws each entry in the list upto 5 times, slowly and painfully. It can take nearly 2 minutes to finish repeatedly redrawing a file list, greying it out and greying it in, when you try to check out a file, on a 1.5mb connection.

I'm using putty to tunnely my X with compression enabled.

Any tips on making it useable? Or should I just ssh-tunnel an NFS mount of the files and use sourcesafe?

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:06 pm

I'm a little confused as to what you're doing. Are you running the Unix SourceOffSite client on a machine (at work, for example), displayed to an X server (at home, for example) that is over a 1.5 Mbps connection? And you're using PuTTY to tunnel the X traffic over this 1.5 Mbps connection?

If I have that right, I can see why this may be a little slow (also, this topic should move to the Unix/Mac Clients forum). We should work on minimizing the painting in that window.

Since SourceOffSite is all about remote access, you could simply install a client on the machine where the X server is currently running and run it natively. You can then tunnel the SourceOffSite TCP/IP traffic through an SSH tunnel. I've never used SourceSafe on files over an NFS share, but I have tunnelled NFS through SSH, and I think tunnelling the SourceOffSite protocol would be much more efficient.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

kfsone

Post by kfsone » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:16 pm

Whoops - I mean't to post it over there.

The reason for (trying) to run SoS like this is because that's where the source code and build environment are. My box at home is essentially a dumb terminal.

The application runs quite smoothly over X/1.5mbps connection, its just the slow-repaint that makes is so painfully slow.